The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Silas

The Narrow Road

I had spent the better part of my young life being led around like a sheep. Being raised Catholic there was not much room for questioning, merely following along and going with the flow.

My being born again, as it were, occurred in June of 1998 at the Corel Centre in Ottawa, Ont. The 90's was a roller-coaster decade for me, filled with wonder and joy. I had met my wife, we eventually married, had our son, and bought our first home. We had spent our honeymoon in Lancaster County, PA. Stayed in the area an entire week among the Amish and Mennonites. A truly inspiring time in my life. I was so intrigued by the way of life the Anabaptist lead that I read everything I could on them. I went so far as buying the book "Martyrs Mirror". I'll admit that I never could really wrap my head around the deep historical value of the book, but I was still intrigued at the simple, humble life dedicated to working and serving the Lord.

Fast forward to June 1998 when my wife and I attended the Billy Graham Crusade in Ottawa, Ont. I had watched many of Mr. Grahams televised crusades. I was inspired by him as he often taught the scripture and explained what scripture meant. This was nothing that I was used to sitting in a pew in any Catholic Church where it was preached to me without much understanding. The end result, I always day dreamed when in church.

While attending the Crusade in Ottawa I felt empowered, the entire Corel center was filled with followers that were also filled with love, hope, and faith. The moment came when Mr. Graham invited everyone to come forward and proclaim their faith in Jesus Christ. I made a b-line to the stage. My poor wife was almost dragged with me. The experience still resonates within me.

Since last Sunday, a week from today I have been on bed rest. For the first time in my life I had a bout of sciatica. It appears that during one of my hikes the previous week I had pinched a nerve or created something in my hip that irritated the area. Perhaps my backpack belt was too tight. In any event I am on the mend.

During my convalescing I was able to get a lot of work done on my website. I had a lot of assistance and information shared to me from a very kind man. I won't mention his name ("Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven), but I am grateful for the help.

I also had time to watch something I have been meaning to watch for quite some time, The Protestant Reformation. I believe it was this site that I had first heard of the video. What an informative lesson I learned of our religious history (it only took me 52 years). I had often heard of the Reformation (not by any Catholic) by friends and co-workers, and I was often encouraged to read it. I only wish I would have read it sooner, before watching it. I can see myself watching again.

It's a wonderful feeling to be empowered and refreshed, again.

Edited by Silas
  • Like 1
  • Toast 1

Staff
19 hours ago, Silas said:

I also had time to watch something I have been meaning to watch for quite some time, The Protestant Reformation. I believe it was this site that I had first heard of the video. What an informative lesson I learned of our religious history (it only took me 52 years). I had often heard of the Reformation (not by any Catholic) by friends and co-workers, and I was often encouraged to read it. I only wish I would have read it sooner, before watching it. I can see myself watching again.

Summation, The Protestant "Reformation" conveys a protest over the traditions etc, we are Reformed from the Catholic church to the Word of God as conveyed in the principal of Sola Scriptura. The motive and intentions of the early Reformers was never to destroy the Catholic church but to bring her back to orthodoxy (true and correct doctrine). When the Catholic church refused and began "disciplining" reformers for such action she was deemed as many believe today as apostate, I think one may say that the universal (c)atholic church expelled the Roman Catholic church. Many today believe the Catholic church is "apostate" when held to a standard such as sola scriptura. Of course the Roman Catholic church holds herself to another standard (herself). When she appeals to herself she's always correct.

I have enjoyed our correspondences over the year or so time Silas. If anyone is into hiking, backpacking, etc., my buddy here has an enthusiast site, if you're an outdoor enthusiast then check out Silas website: Hiking, Backpacking, Trails, blogs and forums

We have a link directory Silas, if you wish to add yours as a Christian feel free to do so. If you need a new category please recommend one: https://www.christforums.org/links/

God bless,

Willim

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Silas said:

I had spent the better part of my young life being led around like a sheep

Being led around like a sheep is good if the right Shepherd is leading you.

• Like 1