The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Concerning the devil and our prayers to God

(1) If you were being tempted to sin, would it be wrong to verbally command Satan to leave? Or would it be better just to always address God (either verbally or silently) to protect and guide you? 

(2) When praying to God does it matter if one does so audibly knowing that the evil spirits can "hear" you. I had one man tell me many years back that most of the time when he prays he does so silently for this very reason. I think though it wouldn't matter because God is omnipotent and is greatly honored by our humble prayers to Him, and that even though these demonic spirits can hear us they are no match against His protection of us. Your thoughts? 

• Like 1

Why not both? But I think it would be more important to go to God for the power to resist temptation, and that is how the Lord taught us to pray. "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil"

Demons have no power over God's will for you, if they did we would be totally hopeless altogether. And demons can probably read read minds. 

In some Pentecostal/carismatic circles they believe that if you don't pray in tounges then demons will intercept your prayers, it sounds like that might be were the whole idea originated.

• Like 1

Jesus certainly addressed Satan and sure would have been nice if Eve would have shouted for Satan to leave. 

I’m sure demons hearing you pray to God would be the worst thing for them. Knowing you are turning to God for help is the exact opposite of what they want so I see no negative in praying out loud. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

And demons can probably read minds. 

Thanks for your responses IF89 and Erik.

IF89, 

I think though demons can not read our minds because that would fall into the realm of God's omniscience (Ezekiel 11:5). However, I also believe that after seeing how humans behave, talk and basically conduct themselves for many generations they may have a very good knowledge about us.

Erik,

I think with Jesus and Eve that Satan manifested himself whereby communication between both parties took place. This is not to say that it can not happen today. I am sure it does. If it were ever to happen to any one of us I think the best way is to respond by continually proclaiming that the Lord Jesus came in the flesh while also affirming His death where His blood was shed and resurrection as well as the fact that He is "Lord" (God).

• Like 1