The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Anto9us

Things went south after end of Acts

Acts ends with Paul spending 2 years in house arrest, but really at liberty to see who he will, and truly as he said it seemed that "things had fallen out for the furtherance of the gospel".

Yet pretty soon Paul is beheaded ( as a Roman citizen, he was not crucified as Peter and maybe others were.)

How did things go south so quick?

From persecution by Jews, with Roman officials saying "tend to your own laws, don't involve us in your religion" -- it comes to Rome viewing Christians as enemies of the state.

I am foggy on my Roman History.  Somewhere between Augustus and Nero -- the worm had turned -- I think probably Paul and Peter were martyred even before Nero took power.

What sayest thou?

For that matter -- I think it is TRADITION that tells us Paul was beheaded, and that Peter was crucified upside down.  Nothing in our Bible tells us these things, as far as I know

Staff
WWW.BIBLESTUDY.ORG

Is it true Paul died in ROME? When was he killed? How did he die? Was he beheaded as was Roman custom?

9 hours ago, Anto9us said:

Acts ends with Paul spending 2 years in house arrest, but really at liberty to see who he will, and truly as he said it seemed that "things had fallen out for the furtherance of the gospel".

Yet pretty soon Paul is beheaded ( as a Roman citizen, he was not crucified as Peter and maybe others were.)

How did things go south so quick?

ACTS.9: = 13 Then Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.”

15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

MATTHEW.10: = Persecutions Are Coming

16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. 17 But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues. 18 You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; 20 for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.

21 “Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. 23 When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Persecution and martyrdom were already prophesied for  most of the 12 apostles and 108 disciples of Jesus Christ(ACTS.1:15), to whom God/Jesus spoke to directly and gave miraculous powers of the Spirit. So, 'things went south' accordingly as prophesied by God/Jesus. Nevertheless, the gospel of Jesus Christ continued unabated = more and more Christians were added, eg 3 thousand Jews became Jewish Christians at ACTS.2:41.

A time is coming soon, ie just before the 2nd Advent of Lord Jesus Christ to earth, when Christians will again be persecuted and martyred by powerful entities/authorities. In fact in USA, some US Christian wedding-business owners were recently prosecuted/persecuted by certain State governments for not serving the LGBTQs.