The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Support

Hurricane Michael Could Leave Residents Without Power For Months

By DCNF -

Hurricane-Michael-250x192.png

On the brink of reaching Category 5 strength, Hurricane Michael could destroy much of power grid located on the Florida Panhandle, leaving residents without electricity for weeks — or even months.

Hurricane Michael Could Leave Residents Without Power For Months is original content from Conservative Daily News - Where Americans go for news, current events and commentary they can trust.

View the original full article

If you are like me, you probably wonder where all the talk of "months" to restore power comes from.  That seems like a crazy long time.

I had the chance to chat with someone that designs power grids (one of the percs of being in commercial land development) and he explained it to me.  If all the telephone poles and overhead wires in a region were completely blown away.  Nothing left of any of them.  The power crews could come in and "string extension cords" ... the term they use for all of those lines that bring power to your home ... in hours to days or a few weeks depending on how far you are from one of those big, ugly power substations.  Even those transformers that you see everywhere (cans on poles and boxes on concrete slabs) are standard and could be quickly replaced. 

Where things get tricky is power leaves a generation plant at crazy high voltages and amperage and needs to go to a local substation to be converted to something usable by homes and business.  Those are those ugly collections of towers and boxes surrounded by a fence that says "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE".  Each substation is unique.  Designed for local power demand and made from parts that are custom made for the application.  There are no spare substations sitting around that can be dropped in to replace a lost one.  If a hurricane destroys a substation, then a new substation needs to be designed, fabricated to specifications and assembled on the site with a new structural framework.  That can take months, and if you need a LOT of them, it can take years to get around to replacing all of them.

Puerto Rico lost a lot of substations to a Cat 4-5 Hurricane.  The Florida Panhandle is facing landfall of a Cat 4-5 Hurricane.

Now you know.

• Like 2