The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Support

How the Cross Reshapes the Home

Cross_reshapes_the_home-300x128.jpg

In our families and homes we’re most secure and also most vulnerable. We’re most loved and also despised. We experience our greatest joys and sorrows. In that sense family has something in common with the cross, a place of wondrous love and righteous wrath.

In his new book, The Storm-Tossed Family: How the Cross Reshapes the Home, Russell Moore writes, “These families of ours can be filled with joy, but will always make us vulnerable to pain.” Moore, TGC Council member and president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, wants us to know that family is important, but not ultimate. In a summary toward the end of the book he writes:

Family is not the gospel. If you think that family is the source of ultimate meaning in your life, then you will expect your family to make you happy, to live up to your expectations. You will then come to perceive that a dysfunctional family background or a spouse who leaves you or a child who walks away to a far country of rebellion has ruined your life. And, when you fail your family, as you inevitably will, you will spend your life trying to atone for your sins, and you will never find the peace you seek.

Moore joins me on The Gospel Coalition Podcast to discuss how we find that peace only in the cross of Christ. We’ll also talk about wedding vows, church family, fatherly approval, and why young men should look for 75-year-old wives.

You can listen to this episode of The Gospel Coalition podcast here.

Related:

b0C0qP8sN2Q

View the full article