The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Frosty

The Two Gates

Matthew 7:13-14, talks about two gates.  I would welcome comments as to what these two gates represent.  Of course I have my opinion of what they represent, but would like someone to give me their opinion first.

Staff
9 hours ago, Frosty said:

Matthew 7:13-14, talks about two gates.  I would welcome comments as to what these two gates represent.  Of course I have my opinion of what they represent, but would like someone to give me their opinion first.

Matthew 7:13-14 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

John Calvin write on Matthew 7:13, "We think it strange that we should be forcibly separated from the vast majority, as if we were not a part of the human race. But though the doctrine of Christ confines and hems us in, reduces our life to a narrow road, separates us from the crowd, and unites us to a few companions, yet this harshness ought not to prevent us from striving to obtain life."

I think Calvin nailed it as he points to the works of Jesus Christ. Consider what Jesus says in the very same chapter in Matthew 7 with respect to verses Matthew 7:21-23:

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I ever knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Now we should ask what does Christ mean when he says "I never knew you"? Jesus is stating in this verse that He did not know them and not that they could be known to Him by their works. Of course this means nothing about Jesus' omniscience because He obviously knew too much about them, so what did Jesus mean? To know means to have an intimate knowledge of someone, consider: Amos 3:2; Deuteronomy 7:7,8; 10:15; Jeremiah 1:5; I Corinthians 8:3; II Timothy 2:19; Rom 8:28. To know then is to set an affection such as love upon an object. Jesus' love, then, here says, I never "adored or set my affections upon you" which is contrasted with "I never knew you". Now wrapping these verses together we may ask what does Jesus do for those that God loves? The answer should be obvious, God does everything necessary for His Elect.

Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates."

Who are they that "wash their robes"? They are those that come to Christ that the Father draws to the Son by His Spirit.

God bless,

William

During the time of Jesus Christ, the Jews thought that they were going to heaven by keeping or doing the works of Moses Law, which was easy enough for most of the Jews, cf MATTHEW.19:16-23. This would make the gate to heaven quite broad. But then, Jesus Christ declared that the way to heaven was through faith in Him as the promised Messiah/Christ/Savior. Most of the Jews and Pharisees rejected Jesus Christ and "murdered" Him.  Only a very small minority of Jews, out of millions, became Jewish Christians, eg the apostles. Thus the gate to heaven became narrow.

....... Also, it was relatively easy to keep the Law  but not so easy to keep the faith.

Even today, I think many Gentile Christians do not really know who God, Jesus Christ and the Spirit truly "is" or fully understand the gospel of salvation by faith in Christ. Hence, narrow is the gate.

Edited by discipler77

7 hours ago, William said:

Matthew 7:13-14 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

John Calvin write on Matthew 7:13, "We think it strange that we should be forcibly separated from the vast majority, as if we were not a part of the human race. But though the doctrine of Christ confines and hems us in, reduces our life to a narrow road, separates us from the crowd, and unites us to a few companions, yet this harshness ought not to prevent us from striving to obtain life."

I think Calvin nailed it as he points to the works of Jesus Christ. Consider what Jesus says in the very same chapter in Matthew 7 with respect to verses Matthew 7:21-23:

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I ever knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Now we should ask what does Christ mean when he says "I never knew you"? Jesus is stating in this verse that He did not know them and not that they could be known to Him by their works. Of course this means nothing about Jesus' omniscience because He obviously knew too much about them, so what did Jesus mean? To know means to have an intimate knowledge of someone, consider: Amos 3:2; Deuteronomy 7:7,8; 10:15; Jeremiah 1:5; I Corinthians 8:3; II Timothy 2:19; Rom 8:28. To know then is to set an affection such as love upon an object. Jesus' love, then, here says, I never "adored or set my affections upon you" which is contrasted with "I never knew you". Now wrapping these verses together we may ask what does Jesus do for those that God loves? The answer should be obvious, God does everything necessary for His Elect.

Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates."

Who are they that "wash their robes"? They are those that come to Christ that the Father draws to the Son by His Spirit.

God bless,

William

The church that Jesus set up when he was on earth is called in the scriptures by many names, such as, the church of God, the church of Christ, the new Jerusalem, the Kingdom of God, the church of the first born, the church in the wilderness, the kingdom of heaven etc.  God adds to the church daily such as should be "delivered-saved" I think that the scriptures teach that there are far more restrictions required by God for entering into the church than there are for entering into eternal heaven.  I believe there are more scriptures using saved that are talking about timely deliverances than there are that talk about eternal deliverances.

6 hours ago, discipler77 said:

During the time of Jesus Christ, the Jews thought that they were going to heaven by keeping or doing the works of Moses Law, which was easy enough for most of the Jews, cf MATTHEW.19:16-23. This would make the gate to heaven quite broad. But then, Jesus Christ declared that the way to heaven was through faith in Him as the promised Messiah/Christ/Savior. Most of the Jews and Pharisees rejected Jesus Christ and "murdered" Him.  Only a very small minority of Jews, out of millions, became Jewish Christians, eg the apostles. Thus the gate to heaven became narrow.

....... Also, it was relatively easy to keep the Law  but not so easy to keep the faith.

Even today, I think many Gentile Christians do not really know who God, Jesus Christ and the Spirit truly "is" or fully understand the gospel of salvation by faith in Christ. Hence, narrow is the gate.

The church that Jesus set up when he was on earth is called in the scriptures by several different names, such as the church of God, the church of Christ, the church of the first born, the church in the wilderness, the kingdom of God, the kingdom of heaven etc.  God adds to the church daily such as should be delivered-saved.  The scriptures teach that God places a lot more restriction on  entering the church than entering eternal heaven. Thus, few that are added to the church.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

The church that Jesus set up when he was on earth is called in the scriptures by several different names, such as the church of God, the church of Christ, the church of the first born, the church in the wilderness, the kingdom of God, the kingdom of heaven etc.  God adds to the church daily such as should be delivered-saved.  The scriptures teach that God places a lot more restriction on  entering the church than entering eternal heaven. Thus, few that are added to the church.

MATTHEW.22:14 = 14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

The Church you referred to was/is on earth = the Church cannot be the kingdom of God or kingdom of heaven.

12 minutes ago, discipler77 said:

MATTHEW.22:14 = 14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

The Church you referred to was/is on earth = the Church cannot be the kingdom of God or kingdom of heaven.

Many are called to be regenerated, but few are chosen to have the truth of Jesus's doctrine revealed to them by the Holy Spirit.  The church is God's kingdom on earth and Christ is the king and also the bride of it.

Staff
41 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Many are called to be regenerated, but few are chosen to have the truth of Jesus's doctrine revealed to them by the Holy Spirit.  The church is God's kingdom on earth and Christ is the king and also the bride of it.

That makes little sense to me. Are we called to crawl back in our mother's womb? How are we called to do something which is impossible for us to do?

What is the difference between an outward call and inward call? Is there a difference between the inward call and regeneration or is the inward call an individual act separate from that of regeneration?

An invite Frosty:

God bless,

William

17 minutes ago, William said:

That makes little sense to me. Are we called to crawl back in our mother's womb? How are we called to do something which is impossible for us to do?

The inward call is regeneration.

I don't mean to be overly critical about your words, but Jesus' doctrine is revelation, one of the things unregenerate persons lack is "illumination" of the truth in the Scriptures by the Holy Spirit.

Note: does a person whether an unbeliever or believer still battle with the effects of presuppositions?

An invite Frosty:

God bless,

William

William,  In reference to the two gates, the straight gate being the church where few of the elect and regenerated children found it by the revelation of the Spirit within them, and many of the elect and regenerated children of God go in the wide gate.  That leaves the rest of mankind who are not the elect.  I think that I might have stated my comments in the wrong way.  Lets see if I can make myself clearer.  Many of God's regenerated children are called by the gospel, but few have been given by revelation of the Holy Spirit to know the hidden mystery of the gospel.  I hope this clears it up and I thank you for calling my attention to my error. 

Staff
Just now, Frosty said:

William,  In reference to the two gates, the straight gate being the church where few of the elect and regenerated children found it by the revelation of the Spirit within them, and many of the elect and regenerated children of God go in the wide gate.  That leaves the rest of mankind who are not the elect.  I think that I might have stated my comments in the wrong way.  Lets see if I can make myself clearer.  Many of God's regenerated children are called by the gospel, but few have been given by revelation of the Holy Spirit to know the hidden mystery of the gospel.  I hope this clears it up and I thank you for calling my attention to my error. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer Frosty. Unfortunately, I had edited my post before yours to clarify what I was asking. If you have time please consider it in the revised edition.

God bless,

William

On 10/2/2018 at 2:48 AM, William said:

God bless,

William

I have the feeling that Jesus' never knowing them applies, in a big way, to false teachers who were running an ecclesiastical scam with their religion to begin with (though I don't know how anyone could stomach playing church just for the financial benefits). And when these hucksters are faced with an eternal judgment that they didn't even take seriously as an actual eventuality they continue the con and stupidly try to hoodwink the Lord, when, in fact, they never actually prophesied or cast out any demons. When He tells them He never knew THEM He's reminding them that THEY NEVER KNEW Him! And they know that's true.
Blessings,
Mardabo

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:48 AM, William said:

God bless,

William

Christ's church in the scriptures are referred to in many different names, one of them being, Zion.  The Kingdom of heaven is the dwelling place of God.  Matt 18:20 - For where two or three are gathered together, in my name, there am I in the midst of them.                                Zion (THE CHURCH) also is the dwelling place of God on earth, also called the Kingdom of heaven (the dwelling place of God on earth).  The straight gate is Zion, the kingdom of heaven.  Matt 7:21 is referencing the church, not eternal heaven.  Matt 7:15 - Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves - the children of God who enter the wide gate.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:48 AM, William said:

God bless,

William

The church that Jesus set up is called by several names.  In Matt 7:21 it is called "Kingdom of heaven".  It is also called Zion.  The scriptures say "Where two or three are gathered together in my name, I am there in the midst of them.  Heaven is the dwelling place of God.  The church is the dwelling place of God on earth (the kingdom of heaven), where we gather together to worship God, the straight gate.  Matt 7:15 - Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves - God's children who enter the wide gate. Lamentations 2 speaks of Zion, the kingdom of heaven on earth.    

Jesus is the narrow gate. He is the way ... same concept. "... No one comes to the Father but by Me." Every other way outside of Christ leads to destruction. Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna, any and all other so called spiritual guides, religions, philosophies, atheism, humanism, witchcraft, black magic, spiritism, IDOLS (including yourself), etc., ANY WAY OTHER THAN THROUGH CHRIST WILL LEAD TO DESTRUCTION.

1 hour ago, Ronald said:

Jesus is the narrow gate. He is the way ... same concept. "... No one comes to the Father but by Me." Every other way outside of Christ leads to destruction. Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna, any and all other so called spiritual guides, religions, philosophies, atheism, humanism, witchcraft, black magic, spiritism, IDOLS (including yourself), etc., ANY WAY OTHER THAN THROUGH CHRIST WILL LEAD TO DESTRUCTION.

You are on the right tract, but I would add many more in the wide gate, such as, all of the many false doctrines that are preached other than the doctrine of Jesus, which is the visible church on earth.  I believe all those that enter the wide gate are children of God, and are going to heaven, along with those in the straight gate.  All of God's  elect make up the universal church.  I think that the wheel within a wheel spoken of in Ezk 10 may have reference to the visible and invisible churches, but this is just speculations.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:58 AM, Frosty said:

You are on the right tract, but I would add many more in the wide gate, such as, all of the many false doctrines that are preached other than the doctrine of Jesus, which is the visible church on earth.  I believe all those that enter the wide gate are children of God, and are going to heaven, along with those in the straight gate.  All of God's  elect make up the universal church.  I think that the wheel within a wheel spoken of in Ezk 10 may have reference to the visible and invisible churches, but this is just speculations.

Such speculation is dangerous. There are not two groups and different levels of Christians. The narrow/strait gate Christians are the only ones saved. Jesus specifically said the broad/wide gate led to destruction.You can't ride Jesus' coattails to heaven.

7070.gif

• Like 1

Simply put: The 2 gates represent the 2 outcomes you can choose for your eternity: Everlasting Life or death. 

Edited by Erik