The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Genesis 3:4-5 question about deity

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, William said:

Why would God make the first negative command in Genesis 2:17 if God had not known the preplanned outcome? God broke from a pattern of positive commands to the very first negative command in Genesis 2:17. Does anyone think this was for no reason? Was God "speculating"?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by a negative command.  If I tell my kids don't eat those berries they are poison they will kill you. is that a negative command? Am I not protecting them?

Staff
49 minutes ago, Guppy said:

I am not sure I understand what you mean by a negative command.  If I tell my kids don't eat those berries they are poison they will kill you. is that a negative command? Am I not protecting them?

The negative aspect of a Law is simply a prohibition.

God bless,

William

On 9/28/2018 at 11:43 AM, William said:

Is wanting to be a god necessarily bad? We have attributes of God being made in His image and up until the fall man was not even condemned to death. So, I'm thinking that there must be a difference between what we had before and then after the act of taking fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

The very act of Adam naming all living creatures was an exercise of dominion and judgment which requires discernment from one creature to another in the naming of all living things. Was this good? And how did this differ from evil?

Lemme ask while on the point of gods. Historically, were gods the personification of Nature's laws which are subject to the almighty God? I do not believe there are "autonomous" laws in themselves, but they are subject to a higher Law Giver. Can a god rule of good only despite having intimate knowledge of evil or knowing evil?

God bless,

William

I believe that the so called knowledge of good and evil is about defining good and evil for oneself. I think we can say God created evil by defining evil as such. I believe before a third of the angels rebelled by doing evil, they took up upon themselves to try it not taking God's word of it's repercussions. They probably said why should we take God word about evil, let us do it then decide for ourselves. Satan introduced evil into God's universe and that is why Jesus was manifested to destroy Satan's works (1 John 3:8). God is now in the process of purging evil from His universe. My thoughts, anyway.  :classic_cool: