The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Questions concerning Eve

Staff

On what day was Eve created? And why was there (if any) a pause between the creation of Adam and Eve?

God bless,

William

1 hour ago, William said:

On what day was Eve created? And why was there (if any) a pause between the creation of Adam and Eve?

God bless,

William

1. Eve was created the same day as Adam - day six.

Gen 1:27-31
(27)  So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
(28)  And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
(29)  And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
(30)  And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
(31)  And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

2. There was a pause between the creation of Adam and Eve so that Adam could give names to every living creature.

Gen 2:19-23
(19)  And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
(20)  And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
(21)  And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
(22)  And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
(23)  And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Note: Human rib bones can grow back when originally removed with care. Bone material from ribs is used to reconstruct other areas of the body.

• Like 1

Staff
56 minutes ago, Placable37 said:

1. Eve was created the same day as Adam - day six.

Gen 1:27-31
(27)  So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
(28)  And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
(29)  And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
(30)  And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
(31)  And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

2. There was a pause between the creation of Adam and Eve so that Adam could give names to every living creature.

Gen 2:19-23
(19)  And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
(20)  And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
(21)  And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
(22)  And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
(23)  And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Note: Human rib bones can grow back when originally removed with care. Bone material from ribs is used to reconstruct other areas of the body.

Nice, let's push a little deeper. In Genesis 1:31 And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Everything that God had made was very good. Except, one thing. Now read Genesis 2:18 - Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”

Did this too occur on the sixth day? Please don't spend much time on this question, I think there is a greater point to be understood.

@Placable37 up until this point when Adam was naming all the creatures do you think they were named in "pairs"? Do you think Adam noticed something different about himself when compared to the other creatures? For example, if the animals were paired, could Adam of noticed he was alone?

Did God mess up? Did God say oops all is good but not Adam being alone? You already answered the question in your Scriptural references you graciously supplied especially in Genesis 1:27. Obviously God created he him; male and female created he them.

Why did God pause between the creation of Adam and Eve? Lemme ask the question again when taking the above scriptures into mind. Was Eve delayed simply so Adam could first perform his own works?

God bless,

William

25 minutes ago, William said:

Nice, let's push a little deeper. In Genesis 1:31 And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Everything that God had made was very good. Except, one thing. Now read Genesis 2:18 - Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”

Did this too occur on the sixth day? 

@Placable37 up until this point when Adam was naming all the creatures do you think they were named in "pairs". Do you think Adam noticed something different about himself when compared to the other creatures? For example, if the animals were paired, could Adam of noticed he was alone?

Did God mess up? Did God say oops all is good but not Adam being alone? You already answered the question in your Scriptural references in Genesis 1:27. Obviously God created he him; male and female created he them.

Why did God pause between the creation of Adam and Eve? Lemme ask the question again when taking the above scriptures into mind. Was Eve delayed simply so Adam could first perform his own works?

God bless,

William

By the end of the sixth day Adam had been created, had named all living creatures by kind (go Adam), had met the criteria to be given a help meet for him thus ensuring man would not be alone, had donated a rib from which Eve was created, and he and Eve had been blessed and instructed by God, and been given dominion over fish, fowl, and every living, moving thing. Now that's quite a day...by the end of it everything that God had made was very good! Adam would have thought Eve was worth waiting for. 

Gen 1:28
(28)  And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.

Staff
14 minutes ago, Placable37 said:

By the end of the sixth day Adam had been created, had named all living creatures by kind (go Adam), had met the criteria to be given a help meet for him thus ensuring man would not be alone, had donated a rib from which Eve was created, and he and Eve had been blessed and instructed by God, and been given dominion over fish, fowl, and every living, moving thing. Now that's quite a day...by the end of it everything that God had made was very good! Adam would have thought Eve was worth waiting for. 

Gen 1:28
(28)  And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.

Would you say that God paused so Adam could recognize his own need for a helpmeet? Do you think that God could of waited until Adam could appreciate Eve? Could this union that God was about to create be a type and shadow of so much more?

In Genesis 2:18 - Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” Many of us today think of a helper as rather insignificant in contrast to the head. Lemme convey my thoughts for a moment so bear with brother. If we were a military and we dug in deep in trenches because we were overwhelmed and we cried out for support or help and the Navy Seals were sent in to assist would we consider them anything but significant or mighty?

Lemme ask, has anyone else ever considered who else Jesus said he would send as a helper? I'm trying to dig deep into Genesis and I'm curious about my brethren and their thoughts about the covenant marriage and the role of the wife. And ultimately the Church (the bride of Christ) and her relationship to Him.

Any thoughts?

God bless,

William

4 minutes ago, William said:

Would you say that God paused so Adam could recognize his own need for a helpmeet? Do you think that God could of waited until Adam could appreciate Eve? Could this union that God was about to create be a type and shadow of so much more?

In Genesis 2:18 - Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” Many of us today think of a helper as rather insignificant in contrast to the head. Lemme convey my thoughts for a moment so bear with brother. If we were a military and we dug in deep in trenches because we were overwhelmed and we cried out for support or help and the Navy Seals were sent in to assist would we consider them anything but significant or mighty?

Lemme ask, has anyone else ever considered who else Jesus said he would send as a helper? I'm trying to dig deep into Genesis and I'm curious about my brethren and their thoughts about the covenant marriage and the role of the wife.

Any thoughts?

God bless,

William

I see where you're going with this. Yes the provision of Eve as a helper after Adam has named all the new "natural" creations, foreshadows the provision of the Holy Spirit after Christ has named all new "spiritual" creations (you did say you were digging deep). Also we have a disobedient Eve as a bride for Adam, but an obedient Mary as a bride for Joseph. It is a wonderful endorsement of marriage that throughout Scripture the union of Christ with His chosen people is likened to that of bride and groom. 

After God made Adam he made a garden and placed Adam in charge of it and then had him name all of the animals before he made Eve.  It doesn't seem likely that all of this could have been done in one day.  Yet the Bible says he created man as male and female on the sixth day.  Here is a possible explanation of how this could have been done:

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/adams-rib/

Staff

Concerning Eve.

1 Timothy 2:14 "and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."

Consider Eve's deception. Does deception have an element of lying? Lying to oneself is self deceiving, now consider Genesis 3:6 "So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate."

Your thoughts?

As far as how long it was between the creation of Adam and Eve I just can't say for certain. But it couldn't have been too long.

I think every thing was very good, but it wasn't good for man to be alone. In one aspect everything was very good and not in another it wasn't, maybe. Perhaps a Hebrew word study might shed some light, good could be used in two different senses. 

Staff

Back in the late 70s There was a converted Rabi holding a class at the local church. I can no longer remember his name. The class was on Genesis. He was saying there was almost no time between creation and the fall. Does that  guys Jewish back ground give him any more credence then some one else IDK . 

Staff
22 hours ago, Becky said:

Back in the late 70s There was a converted Rabi holding a class at the local church. I can no longer remember his name. The class was on Genesis. He was saying there was almost no time between creation and the fall. Does that  guys Jewish back ground give him any more credence then some one else IDK . 

On a recent study that I am doing in Genesis I was faced very early with a problem. Does theology matter? Should I take into account those which reject the essential doctrine of the Trinity? Even if they have a firm command or understanding of the original Hebrew language?

Like every other study I face it becomes apparent that presuppositions do matter. The same evidence is right smack dab in front of the noses of unbelievers and believers and yet at least two different "interpretations" or "narrations" are formed despite the same evidence.

13 hours ago, William said:

On a recent study that I am doing in Genesis I was faced very early with a problem. Does theology matter? Should I take into account those which reject the essential doctrine of the Trinity? Even if they have a firm command or understanding of the original Hebrew language?

Like every other study I face it becomes apparent that presuppositions do matter. The same evidence is right smack dab in front of the noses of unbelievers and believers and yet at least two different "interpretations" or "narrations" are formed despite the same evidence.

William, this seems to raise the issues of motive and choice. If we know why we are studying and have reasons for what we accept or reject we give ourselves a frame of reference to advance with in relation to what we already know. With Christ as your foundation you are building with materials that will be tested. If they don't past the test I am happy to say nevertheless you will be saved. As you know it's the same for all the saints so we must share our findings in the light of what we learn from our studies and what the Holy Spirit quickens to us, if we are to edify one another in love. 

Edited by Placable37
addition

Staff
18 minutes ago, Placable37 said:

William, this seems to raise the issues of motive and choice.

I'll go with that brother. Lemme ask you do you think that anyone is truly "neutral" before examining a fact or evidence?

For example, before opening the covers to the bible do you think a person that believes or does not believe in God is totally netural? And do you think belief or unbelief has an impact on how they understand propositional facts declared in Scripture?

In other areas, let's examine someone from one camp which is a non Trinitarian and a Trinitarian. Both examine a verse, as an example Genesis 1:26, "Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.".

Do you think that what one believes beforehand (presuppositions) has a tendency to alter what a person believes or how they understand the verse in question?

And I'm not suggesting that anyone is not affected by presuppositions. For example, I believe in God therefore I believe God is an axiom (self evident) before even opening the covers to the Bible.

God bless,

William

6 minutes ago, William said:

I'll go with that brother. Lemme ask you do you think that anyone is truly "neutral" before examining a fact or evidence?

For example, before opening the covers to the bible do you think a person that believes or does not believe in God? And do you think this has an impact on how they understand propositional facts declared in Scripture?

In other areas, let's examine someone from one camp which is a non Trinitarian and a Trinitarian. Both examine a verse, as an example Genesis 1:26, "Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.".

Do you think that what one believes beforehand (presuppositions) has a tendency to alter what a person believes or how they understand the verse in question?

And I'm not suggesting that everyone is not effected by presuppositions. For example, I believe in God therefore I believe God is an axiom (self evident) before even opening the covers to the Bible.

God bless,

William

Well, growing up I came across atheists who had read the Bible, apparently from cover to cover, and from their perspective it was a man-made collection of fictitious stories which were no more than propaganda to them. Fortunately I also came across many evangelists who proclaimed the truth, so it comes back to the soil of the heart and the activity of either Satan or the Holy Spirit as to whether the Bible is accepted or rejected. I have been amazed by the zeal of some atheistic academics who have devoted their whole life to refuting the validity of the Bible.  

On 9/25/2018 at 11:01 PM, William said:

God bless,

William

It was after the 7th day that God created Adam and Eve. Gen 2.

Staff
26 minutes ago, ewq1938 said:

It was after the 7th day that God created Adam and Eve. Gen 2.

Do you think there are two creation accounts?

14 minutes ago, William said:

Do you think there are two creation accounts?

Yes. The first peoples were hunter gatherers but Adam was a farmer which matches up with what science has found about early mankind.

Staff
On 10/18/2018 at 4:21 PM, ewq1938 said:

Yes. The first peoples were hunter gatherers but Adam was a farmer which matches up with what science has found about early mankind.

Do you follow the principle of sola scriptura? Are you Protestant?

If not, are you here to teach or inquire about the Protestant faith?

2 minutes ago, William said:

Do follow the principal of sola scriptura? Are you Protestant?

I was raised in a Protestant/Lutheran church. I simply do not agree that Adam was the first human.

Staff
4 minutes ago, ewq1938 said:

I was raised in a Protestant/Lutheran church. I simply do not agree that Adam was the first human.

And please provide the reasons you reject the principal of sola scriptura, and do not believe that Genesis is a historical narration and/ or record? 

You may have been raised Lutheran, but that in itself is defined by Protestant principals, and says nothing about your current status which may be apostate. 

Your thoughts?

9 minutes ago, William said:

And please provide the reasons you reject the principal of sola scriptura, and do not believe that Genesis is a historical narration and/ or record? 

You may have been raised Lutheran, but that in itself is defined by Protestant principals, and says nothing about your current status which may be apostate. 

Your thoughts?

I don't reject sola scriptura. Why would you think I do?

Genesis is a historical record. Nothing I have said violates any of these things.

Staff
27 minutes ago, ewq1938 said:

I don't reject sola scriptura. Why would you think I do?

Genesis is a historical record. Nothing I have said violates any of these things.

The fact that you stated you do not believe Adam was the first man despite both Matthew, Romans, and Genesis refer to Adam as the first man.

Is that supposed to be some kind of trick question?

3 minutes ago, William said:

The fact that you stated you do not believe Adam was the first man despite both Matthew and Romans besides Genesis referring to Adam as the first man. 

Is that supposed to be some kind of trick question?

He was the first of his people, Adamites. The scripture also says Christ was the "last Adam" does that mean he was the last human being or can "first Adam" and "last Adam" be understood differently than most interpret?

1Co_15:45  And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Edited by ewq1938

Staff
1 minute ago, ewq1938 said:

He was the first of his people, Adamites. The scripture also says Christ was the "last Adam" does that mean he was the last human being or can "first Adam" and "last Adam" be understood differently?

1Co_15:45  And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

I feel like a mosquito in a nudest colony, I don't know where to begin. 

• Haha 1

Staff