The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
NetChaplain

Differentiating Will and Desire

Our will and desire, and even God’s will and desire do not always coincide. For example, it’s His desire that “all men be saved,” for He desires not “that any should perish” (1Ti 2:4: 2Pe 3:9). Yet, His will is that “he that believeth not shall be damned” (Mark 16:16).

Though the believer’s will is not to sin, this is an impossibility, for the desire of our “old man” manifests itself in our thoughts, feelings and actions. The freedom we have in Christ from the “dominion” of our sin nature (Rom 6:14) lies within its inability to cause us to “sin willfully” (Heb 10:26), unlike the unregenerate whose will is to sin, being void of “His seed” (e.g. new nature – 1 John 3:9). So, for the regenerate the issue is not sinning or not—but in the will never to sin! The “will” is the individual’s choice and I believe is the primary determinate concerning guilt. Living a life of intentionally willing to do wrong manifests the absence of rebirth, because God is always working in those reborn—“to will and to do of His good pleasure” (Phil 2:13).

This will not to sin drives from the Spirit via the “new man” (nature of Christ – Col 3:10), which nature provides for us to be “partakers of the (Christ’s) divine nature” (2 Pet 1:4). One commentator on 1 John 3:9 writes that it’s in our sin nature that we sin, and that we in our new nature cannot sin, which I believe concurs with Romans 7:17, 20. This manifests ownership of personal sin, which keeps us aware of being God-dependent concerning freedom from its guilt and dominion.

Scripture clearly supports that the “old man” (sin nature) still resides in the regenerate (reborn), which understandably results in an inquiry “Why?” One can only suppose with uncertainty (since it’s not scripturally clear here), that it’s the same reason for its initial presence, which in my opinion could be for the purpose of being God-dependent concerning its resolution, seeing this Adamic nature affects the whole man; which often taints our personal understanding (resulting in inaccuracy) concerning spiritual things of the Scriptures, requiring the “mind of the Christ” for understanding (via the Spirit’s teaching).

NC

Yeah, I think you are correct, "which in my opinion could be for the purpose of being God-dependent concerning its resolution, seeing this Adamic nature affects the whole man; which often taints our personal understanding (resulting in inaccuracy) concerning spiritual things of the Scriptures, requiring the “mind of the Christ” for understanding (via the Spirit’s teaching)." -- and I do not like it anymore than you do.

Why I continue in this day-to-day trudge and was not translated out of this world into His at the time of my conversion is indeed a continuing mystery. Why am I still here? I have no desire to be here, this world does not entice me, there is nothing here that I want . . . so I must be here solely because it is His Will that I be here, and I believe that each day there is some purpose, some days larger, some days smaller, that I can fulfill that furthers His Will upon this planet called earth upon which there are so many lost souls. So I trudge on seeking His Will and juggling the responsibilities of my presence here (food, clothing, shelter, etc.) knowing that I must be observant and sensitive to the Spirit because as I make my way day-to-day I may have the opportunity to be an instrument of His Will, Plan, Purpose even when I do not "see" it. ,

On 9/25/2018 at 1:56 PM, Fyrelight said:

Yeah, I think you are correct, "which in my opinion could be for the purpose of being God-dependent concerning its resolution, seeing this Adamic nature affects the whole man; which often taints our personal understanding (resulting in inaccuracy) concerning spiritual things of the Scriptures, requiring the “mind of the Christ” for understanding (via the Spirit’s teaching)." -- and I do not like it anymore than you do.

Why I continue in this day-to-day trudge and was not translated out of this world into His at the time of my conversion is indeed a continuing mystery. Why am I still here? I have no desire to be here, this world does not entice me, there is nothing here that I want . . . so I must be here solely because it is His Will that I be here, and I believe that each day there is some purpose, some days larger, some days smaller, that I can fulfill that furthers His Will upon this planet called earth upon which there are so many lost souls. So I trudge on seeking His Will and juggling the responsibilities of my presence here (food, clothing, shelter, etc.) knowing that I must be observant and sensitive to the Spirit because as I make my way day-to-day I may have the opportunity to be an instrument of His Will, Plan, Purpose even when I do not "see" it. ,

Thanks for your reply and comments! The more we learn of God's ways the more patience He wants us to know because patience is not only learned more in difficulties (Jam 1:3) but is the indicator of our maturity in Christ and our trust in God, in both of which He ensures we continue to grow. Waiting on God to move us is the best pastime mentality! 

Blessings!