The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Anto9us

From NOTHING or 'not from things which do appear'?

Heb 11:3

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

The only place I know of in anybody's Bible that FLAT OUT says that God made everything FROM NOTHING is in the apocryphal book of 2 Maccabees.

As far as the 66 books of Protestant Bible -- 

"things which are seen were not made of things which do appear"

does not necessarily equate to CREATIO EX NIHILO

I don't really feel obligated to believe in creation FROM NOTHING based on a deuterocanonical/apocryphal book.

We should not make Hebrews 11:3 say more than it actually does.

Staff
4 hours ago, Anto9us said:

The only place I know of in anybody's Bible that FLAT OUT says that God made everything FROM NOTHING is in the apocryphal book of 2 Maccabees.

G'day, brother,

Before I post I'd like to say that I do not think Genesis to be a "science" book but rather a "historical record". Continuing,

In theology, the common phrase creatio ex nihilo (lit. "creation out of nothing"), contrasts with creatio ex materia (creation out of some pre-existent, eternal matter) and creatio ex deo (creation out of the being of God).

You may be interested in this thread and accompanying pdf download. As for which view(s) are correct according to which option is for you to understand.

God bless,

William

I too don't think Genesis is a science textbook.

I have looked at that pdf file -- pretty heavy stuff.

Of those thee "Creatios" -- I would have to say Nihilo is closest to what I believe.

But atoms, quarks, electrons, neutron and protons are all things which would "not appear" to writer of Hebrews...

They "do not appear" to me either, but scientists with special microscopes can see them, as they also say light is sometimes a particle, sometimes a wave.

Genesis does not cover creation of angels, fall of Satan, etc -- we have a garden in which there is an already-fallen serpent -- and cherubim already existing that gaurd tree of life after the fall.

• Like 1

Ours is a spiritual journey, not an intellectual one . . . and they are not the same, despite how we want them to be. I am trained as a scientist, it is helpful in doing what I do in this transitory world in which I find myself, however I am a soul, in a body, with a re-born and alive spirit and this world and all its amazing attributes are but a dim shadow compared to the world to which I am bound. I do not wish to be so "heavenly bound that I am no earthly good", but I also do not want to be so focused on the world which I am leaving that I lose sight of where I am going. While here, it is "Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done" day by day, moment by moment, and occasionally we catch a glimpse of His Hand His Wonders performing. I "understand" much of this world, moreso than 500 years ago, and less than what I may yet come to learn -- but, no matter how much I may learn or come to understand it will still be paltry in comparison to the depths of His Knowledge and Understanding.

Well, can things come into existence by themselves? Apart from God who is eternal and self existent.

And how does the Bible support another view? And does that view originate from reading the Bible or from elsewhere?

The Bible isn't a secntific textbook, but is the authorive guide to discovery.