The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

All Christians have been baptized with the Holy Spirit

There are some who claim that the baptism with the Holy Spirit[*1] took place only on two occasions. The first occurrence is described in Acts 2:4 (cf. Acts 1:5). The second instance of anyone else being baptized with the Holy Spirit is with Cornelius and the Gentiles with him (Acts 11:16). However, different words that are used in both accounts refer to the same thing as being baptized with the Holy Spirit. These words are later applied to all who are Christians.[*2] Thus all Christians have been baptized with the Holy Spirit.

All Scripture citations are from the NASB (1995) and all the bold and underlined are mine.

1. Since all Christians have had the Holy Spirit being poured on them means that all Christians have been baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Poured (ekcheō - Strong's #1632)

a. Concerning those individuals in the beginning of Acts 2: Their baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4; cf. 1:5) is equated with the Holy Spirit being poured on them (Acts 2:17, 18, 33).

b. Concerning Cornelius and the Gentiles with him: Their baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:16; cf. 1:5) is equated with the Holy Spirit being poured on them (Acts 10:45).

c. Titus 3:5-6

He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior.

2. Since all Christians have received the Holy Spirit means that all Christians have been baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Received (lambanō - Strong's #2983)

a. Concerning those individuals in the beginning of Acts 2: Their baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4; cf. 1:5) is equated with them having received the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:33).

b. Concerning Cornelius and the Gentiles with him: Their baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:16; cf. 1:5) is equated with them having received the Holy Spirit (Acts 10:47).

c. 1 Corinthians 2:12 (cf. Acts 8:14-16 below)

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God

3. Since all Christians have been given the Holy Spirit means that all Christians have been baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Given (didōmi - Strong's #1325)

a. Concerning those individuals in the beginning of Acts 2: Their baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4; cf. 1:5) is equated with them being given the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:17; 15:8).

b. Concerning Cornelius and the Gentiles with him: Their baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:16; cf. 1:5) is equated with them being given the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:17; 15:8).

c. 2 Corinthians 1:21-22

Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.

4. Since all Christians have had the Holy Spirit fall on them means that all Christians have been baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Fell (epipiptō - Strong's #1968)

a. Concerning those individuals in the beginning of Acts 2: Their baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4; cf. 1:5) is equated with the Holy Spirit falling on them (Acts 11:15).

b. Concerning Cornelius and the Gentiles with him: Their baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:16; cf. 1:5) is equated with the Holy Spirit falling on them (Acts 11:15).

c. Acts 8:14-16

Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

[*1] For more information concerning the baptism with the Holy Spirit see "Acts 11:16" in June 11, 2017 here:

https://www.christforums.org/topic/5299-debate-cornelius-and-baptism/

[*2] Even though in Acts 8 having the Holy Spirit fall on them refers specifically to the Samaritans it also applies to all Christians in that He was given (8:18; didōmi) and He is to be received (8:15, 17, 19).

In his Gospel, Luke also teaches that the baptism with the Holy Spirit does not refer only to those in Acts 2:4 (cf. 1:5) and to the Gentiles in Acts 11:16, but to others as well.

Luke 3:10-18

(10) And the crowds were questioning him, saying, “Then what shall we do?”

(11) And he would answer and say to them, “The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise.”

(12) And some tax collectors also came to be baptized, and they said to him, “Teacher, what shall we do?”

(13) And he said to them, “Collect no more than what you have been ordered to.”

(14) Some soldiers were questioning him, saying, “And what about us, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages.”

(15) Now while the people were in a state of expectation and all were wondering in their hearts about John, as to whether he was the Christ,

(16) John answered and said to them all, “As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

(17) “His winnowing fork is in His hand to thoroughly clear His threshing floor, and to gather the wheat into His barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

(18) So with many other exhortations he preached the gospel to the people.

• Like 2

"By their works you shall know them"  If ALL Christians have indeed been baptized with the Holy Spirit America would not be the way it is and this world would not be the way it is  For all of our preaching/teaching/salvation surely you see that "something" is missing.

This "controversy" has been around for a long time -- ultimately it is a matter of personal experience, and I will post on that later. But what helps me understand this "divide" is a difference between "salvation" and "conversion."  It is kinda like a lot of folks come to America to live, but do not become American Citizens. They like all that living here has to offer, but do not "join in" with sharing the responsibilities. Like wise lots of folks do not want to "go to hell" so they become "saved", but do not necessarily "join in" with the responsibilities of that new life.

You can look at it this way, when Christ called Lazarus out of the tomb he came out bound hand and foot with a grave cloth over his face, and Christ turned to those who were with Him and told them "you loose him an set him free." Those being "saved" come with their own grave cloths and generally we do not "loose them and set them free." And there they sit, year after year, and gradually good preaching and good fellowship helps them forward and they become more free as the years go by.

I know there is a "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" and, for me, it was a separate and distinct experience from salvation. Think upon Paul -- he has this experience on the road to Damascus, and was made blind. It took a separate act for his eyes to re-opened.

How willing are you to know the truth? God knows just exactly how willing you are. And if you hold back even a little you will not get the fullness of what He intends for you, holding back even a portion of what is rightfully His -- what you have pledged to Him--  keeps you from His fullness. "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live . . ." Crucifixion is a hard way to die . . . and we are not dead until we breathe our last. The "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" (as we have come to term it) is the resurrection and empowerment of the truly dead.

30 minutes ago, Fyrelight said:

This "controversy" has been around for a long time -- ultimately it is a matter of personal experience

It's not a matter of personal experience, rather, it is a matter of what the Bible teaches.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fyrelight said:

If ALL Christians have indeed been baptized with the Holy Spirit America would not be the way it is and this world would not be the way it is 

All Christians have been baptized by the Holy Spirit, but there are  many who profess to be Christians when they are not. 

• Like 1

If you have not had a definite spiritual experience with the Holy Spirit then you have not been "imbued with power from above" as is with the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The apostles received the Holy Spirit when Jesus breathed on them but they still had to wait for Pentecost for the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

3 hours ago, KingdomAgeisnow said:

The apostles received the Holy Spirit when Jesus breathed on them but they still had to wait for Pentecost for the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

When the Lord Jesus said "receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:22) it is to be understood prophetically to what took place in Acts 2:4 because:

1. Thomas wasn’t there when this event took place, but he was there with the others during Pentecost.

2. According to Luke 24:49 the Lord Jesus is "sending" the Holy Spirit to them whereas the second half of the passage points to this taking place at a later date. W. E. Vine asserts that what is described in John 20:22 "was symbolic of the Holy Spirit about to be sent in the world, and with the effect of their ministry of the gospel in the forgiveness of sins by the Spirit's power, or the retention of sins by the rejection of the message (vv. 23, 24). It was a prophetic act as well as symbolic" (John: His Record of Christ, page 183). Wayne Grudem concurs: When Jesus breathed on his disciples and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:22), it probably was an acted-out prophecy about what would happen to them at Pentecost. In the same context - in fact, in the verse immediately preceding - Jesus had told them something that would not happen until Pentecost: "As the Father has sent me, even so I send you" (John 20:21). But even though he said this before he had ascended into heaven, he did not really send them out to preach the gospel until the Day of Pentecost had come. Therefore his words were looking forward to what would happen a Pentecost. It is best to understand the words in the next sentence, "Receive the Holy Spirit," in the same way - he was speaking in advance of something that would happen on the Day of Pentecost. On that day they would receive the new covenant fullness and power of the Holy Spirit, a much greater empowering of the Holy Spirit than what they had experienced before (Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, page 769, footnote 13).

On 9/25/2018 at 2:31 PM, Fyrelight said:

I know there is a "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" and, for me, it was a separate and distinct experience from salvation. Think upon Paul -- he has this experience on the road to Damascus, and was made blind. It took a separate act for his eyes to re-opened.

I got news for you, your example with Paul is absurd relating to the topic. Second, the separate distinct experience was either one of two things: 1. When you actually got saved, or a time when you were feeling the spirit. But salvation and the receiving of the Spirit are simultaneous. 

• Best Answer 1