The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

Jesus hung around sinners!

Staff

How many times have we heard someone suggest that Jesus hung around sinners? Often people refer back to Luke 5 in order to establish and support their actions and circle of friends they keep. It is interesting who some see themselves as in Luke 5 as they see themselves as Jesus Christ.

Last week I spent some time in this passage while attempting to contrast and reconcile Luke 5 with Psalm 1. These two verses when contrasted with each other may even appear to demonstrate that Jesus contradicted Scripture.

Consider this, read,

Luke 5, "29 And Levi made him a great feast in his house, and there was a large company of tax collectors and others reclining at table with them. 30 And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

And Matthew 9:10-12 And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” But when he heard it, he said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

Now I assume you do not see yourself as Jesus in that story but the sinners at His table. Imagine if Jesus quoted Psalm 1:1-2 and when He said the words "wicked, sinners, and scoffers" He pointed with each word to the Pharisees and Scribes. I can hear the tone of Jesus' voice when firing off verse Luke 5:32 and/or Matthew 9:12 now while in earshot of the Pharisees and Scribes.

Psalm 1:1-2

Blessed is the man

who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,

nor stands in the way of sinners,

nor sits in the seat of scoffers;

but his delight is in the law of the Lord,

and on his law he meditates day and night.

Who is the "blessed man" in Psalm 1:1? Is he not the man in Psalm 1:2 at the table with Jesus?

God bless,

William

• Like 1

11 hours ago, William said:

How many times have we heard someone suggest that Jesus hung around sinners? Often people refer back to Luke 5 in order to establish and support their actions and circle of friends they keep. It is interesting who some see themselves as in Luke 5 as they see themselves as Jesus Christ.

Last week I spent some time in this passage while attempting to contrast and reconcile Luke 5 with Psalm 1. These two verses when contrasted with each other may even appear to demonstrate that Jesus contradicted Scripture.

Consider this, read,

Luke 5, "29 And Levi made him a great feast in his house, and there was a large company of tax collectors and others reclining at table with them. 30 And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

And Matthew 9:10-12 And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” But when he heard it, he said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

Now I assume you do not see yourself as Jesus in that story but the sinners at His table. Imagine if Jesus quoted Psalm 1:1-2 and when He said the words "wicked, sinners, and scoffers" He pointed with each word to the Pharisees and Scribes. I can hear the tone of Jesus' voice when firing off verse Luke 5:32 and/or Matthew 9:12 now while in earshot of the Pharisees and Scribes.

Psalm 1:1-2

Blessed is the man

who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,

nor stands in the way of sinners,

nor sits in the seat of scoffers;

but his delight is in the law of the Lord,

and on his law he meditates day and night.

Who is the "blessed man" in Psalm 1:1? Is he not the man in Psalm 1:2 at the table with Jesus?

God bless,

William

Yes, so when we follow the direction of righteous counsel, with the intention of being godly, to maintain a position of faithfulness to our Saviour we are indeed blessed with a table prepared before us in the presence of our enemies. 

• Like 1