The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Trinity Pilot

Is Tithing required of the Church (Christians)?

Tithing was practiced before God had his laws to Moses.  Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek and Jacob promised a tithe if God would help him.  However I don't know of any specific command to tithe that is given to the church.  We are commanded to regard all our possessions as belonging to God and we should be prepared to hand over any part of them if God commands it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trinity Pilot said:

I am curious how many believe the God commands a monetary tithe of the Church and if so, why.

Of course a tithe is required.

Why? ... because if you don't tithe, the God will strike you down with some terrible disease!

Furthermore, because we must do EVERYTHING EXACTLY as it was commanded in the Old Testament, you MUST bring your Tithe to the Temple in Jerusalem.  Remember God destroyed the Northern Kingdom for disobeying this part of the command. 

In case it was not clear, that was sarcasm.

God is not the Godfather ... threatening to get you if He doesn't get His 10% cut off the top, like some sort of Church Protection Racket.  Nor is God a slot machine that always pays out ... 20x, 60x or even 100x what you put in!

I'll leave you to locate the verses yourself and see if I am using them right, but ...

1. God loves a cheerful giver.
  2. Give whatever you decide in your heart to give.
  3. A person cannot love both God and money.

(With respect to #3, do not use that as a 'guilt' verse.  I use "How hard is it to let go of this money" as a private, personal measure of what condition my heart is in so I can pray about it.)

I saw nothing about a percentage.

Edited by atpollard
  • Like 1