The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Hitch

Question for Dispensationalist (and other futurists)

110 The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

2 The Lord shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.

The above is one of the most referenced OT quotes in the apostolic letters.  My questions for you:

1. Which  'dispensation' does it belong in?

2. What is the effect in history?

Staff

Turn up the volume then! The "theme" is reoccurring and I suspect until a time of completion:

God bless,

William

On 9/30/2018 at 5:48 PM, Hitch said:

One could fall into the belief that the  DF would rather this passage didint exist.

No, its just I don't really see the point of this thread. It is pretty straight forward.

This is talking about a king greater than David in the Davidic line. We know that is Christ. He is sitting at the right hand of the Father now (Period of Grace) and will be there until his enemies become his footstool at the end.

19 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

This is talking about a king greater than David in the Davidic line. We know that is Christ. He is sitting at the right hand of the Father now (Period of Grace) and will be there until his enemies become his footstool at the end.

But between the present period of Grace and the end he will rule on earth for a thousand years in fulfillment of the promises made to David.

Staff
2 minutes ago, theophilus said:

But between the present period of Grace and the end he will rule on earth for a thousand years in fulfillment of the promises made to David.

Will you ,please, quote the promises you are referring to ?

1 minute ago, Becky said:

Will you ,please, quote the promises you are referring to ?

God promised David that one of his descendants would rule.  The gospel of Matthew begins with Jesus being recognized by the Wise Men as king of the Jews.  The Jews rejected his claim and declared that Caesar was their king.  But God had promised that Jesus would rule the Jews as their king and he will keep that promise.

• Best Answer 1

Staff

Do you have the Scripture quotes? 

Staff
On 10/17/2018 at 9:29 AM, theophilus said:

God promised David that one of his descendants would rule.  The gospel of Matthew begins with Jesus being recognized by the Wise Men as king of the Jews.  The Jews rejected his claim and declared that Caesar was their king.  But God had promised that Jesus would rule the Jews as their king and he will keep that promise.

I believe He did keep that promise . Again i ask for the Scripture quotes for the promise. 

• Best Answer 1

Staff

Kings 9

And it came to pass, when Solomon had finished the building of the house of the Lord, and the king's house, and all Solomon's desire which he was pleased to do,

2 That the Lord appeared to Solomon the second time, as he had appeared unto him at Gibeon.

3 And the Lord said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.

4 And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments:

Then I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever, as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel.

6 But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them:

7 Then will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have hallowed for my name, will I cast out of my sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all people:

8 And at this house, which is high, every one that passeth by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss; and they shall say, Why hath the Lord done thus unto this land, and to this house?

9 And they shall answer, Because they forsook the Lord their God, who brought forth their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and have taken hold upon other gods, and have worshipped them, and served them:therefore hath the Lord brought upon them all this evil.