The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Just Mike

How much time do you spend reading the Bible?

Recently I read an article that stated how much time Christians spend reading the Bible in a week. The results were less than one could believe.

Would you be willing to share what helps you in your reading the Bible. I intend to share this with a group of people in our church. Thank you for your input. God Bless you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

Would you be willing to share what helps you in your reading the Bible. 

More than anything my willingness not to let other things crowd my time out of doing so.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 12:36 AM, SovereignGrace said:

Never enough...

Agreed. Not nearly enough. I find sitting down to spend dedicated time in the Scriptures difficult.  Many times I go into academic theologian mode. I have to really work to not drop into that and read it to see what it is saying for me and my life.

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1
  • Love 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, Just Mike said:

Recently I read an article that stated how much time Christians spend reading the Bible in a week. The results were less than one could believe.

Would you be willing to share what helps you in your reading the Bible. I intend to share this with a group of people in our church. Thank you for your input. God Bless you.

God bless you too, sir. My morning devotions include saying Dr. Luther's Morning Prayer, reading two chapters out of the Pentateuch, two chapters out of the History, two chapters from the Wisdom Books, two chapters from the Prophets, two chapters from the Gospels, two chapters from the Pauline Epistles and two chapters from the General Epistles. Then, I stand before my Lord and say a personal prayer that includes words of thanksgiving, confession, petition and praise. Then, I read some articles out of the Lutheran Confessions. It takes me about forty- five minutes and is a wonderful start to my day.

• Like 3

My Bible app suggests three chapters for me every day. Usually I read one of them in the morning. Sometimes I don't read more during the day, sometimes I do.

• Like 2

As much time as it will take me to at least read 5 chapters everyday. 

In my Christian journey i have come to understand that, i as a Christian cannot but just study the word, for therein we live, grow, act, and get cleansed everyday. 

Edited by Agboola John
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, Just Mike said:

I usually reserve an hour prior to bedtime devoted to bible study and reading . Amazing how the Holy Spirit can direct  your attention and open some of the most amazing things revealed  in Holy Writ . Just last night I happened on the book of Judges and saw things that I never knew existed before. Bible reading begins with unfamiliar scripture that demands a careful study from a reliable commentary that broadens the text that continue to amaze me.

Edited by Matthew A.Duvall
spelling

I have been using the 2 year McCheyne bible reading plan since 2010. I read a chapter from one book in the morning and another chapter from another book in the evening. Iam also subscribed to a few short email devotions which come daily and are also helpful.