The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Does Matthew 6:9 forbid praying to Jesus?

Faber

Matthew 6:9

Pray, then, in this way: Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. (NASB) 

It's wise to look at what all Scripture has to say as to whether or not it is proper to pray unto the Lord Jesus. When this is done it is abundantly clear that He is the proper recipient of prayer. Below are several reasons why (among many) this is true.[*1]

1. Not only did the Lord Jesus speak the words found recorded in Matthew 6:9, but the same holds true concerning John 14:14 where He teaches prayer is to be directed unto Him (cf. John 5:23).

2. Not only in the Gospel of John,[*2] but even within Matthew's Gospel we see that the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of worship.

Matthew 11:28-30

(28) Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 
(29) Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. 
(30) For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. (NASB) 

According to Jeremiah 2:20, even though the Lord removed the yoke from Israel their response was, "I will not serve"! They still preferred to worship the gods to whom they chose to yoke themselves with (Jeremiah 2:23) instead of worshiping the Lord.[*3] Thus when a person takes upon himself/herself the yoke of the Lord Jesus it signifies worshiping Him. Likewise, when one finds the rest given by and in the Lord Jesus it also means worshiping Him (cf. Psalm 37:7).

3. Just as the Father's name is hallowed in worship (Matthew 6:9) so too is the Lord Jesus to be sanctified in worship (1 Peter 3:15). In fact, the same Greek word (hagiazō) is used in both passages. Furthermore, 1 Peter 3:15 is taken from Isaiah 8:13 in which the worship of YHWH is being described.

[*1] https://www.christforums.org/topic/6234-yes-it-is-proper-to-worship-the-lord-jesus-christ/

[*2] In Mark's Gospel the Lord Jesus affirmed that He was the Son of Man (14:62) spoken of in the 7th chapter of Daniel. In 7:14 universal worship is properly rendered unto Him. In Luke's Gospel Christ's followers worshiped the Lord Jesus as God (Luke 24:52).

Charles Spurgeon: Then they were not Unitarians — “They worshipped him,” — and there were angels present at the time who would have been sure to have rebuked them if it had been a wrong thing for them to worship him. Indeed, they themselves, both as Jews and as Christians, would have felt, in their inmost soul, that they could not worship anyone but God; but Christ is God, so they did well to worship him. 
http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/spe/luke-24.html

[*3] They did not fear the Lord (Jeremiah 2:19) thus they felt no need to worship Him (Jeremiah 2:20). That we are to fear the Lord Jesus entails worshiping Him (Acts 9:31; 2 Corinthians 5:11; Ephesians 5:21; 6:5; Philippians 2:12; Colossians 3:22; 1 Peter 3:15). 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Fyrelight

"Pray to the Father"  . . . and then who do you think the Lord prayed to? . . . Himself?? . . . "but looking up He prayed to the Father" . . . for sure, call upon the Lord, but for me, prayer is always directed to the Father, in His name. Christ gave Himself upon the Cross to restore us to the love of the Father, He (Christ) is my Friend, my elder Brother, my Help in time of need, but when I pray, it is not just "our Father", but more specifically "MY Father . . ." For me, life on earth is only made tolerable by the close personal relationship I now have because of the Work of His Blood upon His cross. So . . . "pray to the Father."

Faber
1 hour ago, Fyrelight said:

"Pray to the Father"  . . . and then who do you think the Lord prayed to? . . . Himself?? . . . "but looking up He prayed to the Father" . . . for sure, call upon the Lord, but for me, prayer is always directed to the Father, in His name. Christ gave Himself upon the Cross to restore us to the love of the Father, He (Christ) is my Friend, my elder Brother, my Help in time of need, but when I pray, it is not just "our Father", but more specifically "MY Father . . ." For me, life on earth is only made tolerable by the close personal relationship I now have because of the Work of His Blood upon His cross. So . . . "pray to the Father."

In answer to your question:

1. Jesus prayed to the Father (cf. Matthew 11:25).

This doesn't detract from the fact that the Bible teaches that the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer - you dodged the evidence for that.

Why?

One more question

You claim that Jesus is your "Friend." What kind of friendship do you have with Him if you won't even talk to Him?

• Like 3

Matthew A.Duvall
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, Faber said:

In answer to your question:

1. Jesus prayed to the Father (cf. Matthew 11:25).

This doesn't detract from the fact that the Bible teaches that the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer - you dodged the evidence for that.

Why?

One more question

You claim that Jesus is your "Friend." What kind of friendship do you have with Him if you won't even talk to Him?

Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us and is honored to call us His friends. " This is My commandment that you love one another as I have loved you . Greater love has no one than this ,than to lay down  one's life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what ever I command you . No longer do I call you servants ,for a servant does not know what his master is doing ;  but I have called you friends for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you; You did not choose Me , but I have chosen you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should remain ,that whatsoever you ask in My Name He may give you. John 15:12-16 

• Like 1

tahaadi

Jesus was God in flesh.

all 3 persons, Holy Spirit, son, father are equal.

you can pray to Jesus as well.

• Like 1

Kyle Petro

Jesus is our mediator between us and the Father

….

Without Christ's work on the cross we would be forever separate from the Father.

So we pray through the righteousness of Christ. He who knew no sin, became sin, that we might become the righteousness of God.

(2 COR 5: 21)

Jesus' very own righteousness is credited to our account, so we pray to Him and through Him to Heavenly Father.

The Holy Spirit also plays a role. He intercedes for us with groanings that cannot be uttered or understood.(ROM 8:26) When we know not what to pray the Spirit intercedes for us to the Father. 

discipler77
On 9/9/2018 at 7:53 PM, Faber said:

Does Matthew 6:9 forbid praying to Jesus?

Matthew 6:9 Pray, then, in this way: Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. (NASB) 

pray = to speak to a god either privately or in a religious ceremony in order to express love, admiration, or thanks or in order to ask for something: ...

DICTIONARY.CAMBRIDGE.ORG

pray definition: 1. to speak to a god either privately or in a religious ceremony in order to express love, admiration, or thanks or in...

No, MATTHEW.6:9 does not forbid praying or worshiping Jesus.

For those on earth, isn't  the Father's hallowed name "Lord/God Jesus Christ.?

Christians may address or call God as God/Lord, the Father, Lord/God Jesus Christ, etc.

....... Jews address their God or Father as G_d or Yahweh. Muslims address their God as Allah(= God in Arabic). Atheists may address themselves as gods. Hindus and Buddhists have many gods/idols whom they may address as Krishna, Shiva, Kuan Yin, Mazu, Buddha, etc. Satanists address their God as Satan. Etc.

....... So, to admit people into His heaven for salvation, it is important for the true God to be able to identify/know His people by how they address or call Him = separating the wheat from the chaff/tares or the sheep from the goats.

MATTHEW.7:21-23 = I Never Knew You

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

JOHN.20:28-29 = 28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

ACTS.9:5-6 = 5 And he said, “Who are You, Lord?”

Then the Lord said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads.”

6 So he, trembling and astonished, said, “Lord, what do You want me to do?”