The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Debi

Am I being chastened?

The more I try to help people the worse things happen to me. I could give you many many examples, but just recently I helped a homeless family by letting them sleep in my RV for 3 weeks. They broke things, trashed it and left behind bed bugs which I am still trying to deal with. I took in an older Native American man who also had nowhere to live and he fell and  hurt his leg badly and now I have to take care of him and he still has nowhere to go and doesn't want to leave.  I tried to help another family and the city came down on me and caused me a lot of grief.  I have a family a car and it was used in a crime si ....the pd  came to my house.   I tried to help a family on the reservation and my dog got sick up there from one of their dogs costing me $400. It seems every time I try to help someone it comes back and causes me terrible problems. Is this normal? Is God chastening me? People I know have often said to me they don't understand why there's so much trouble in my life when I try to help everyone else....so I know it's just not my perception. Any input/wisdom on this would be welcomed!  I know we should help those in need, but  I'm starting to think i shouldn't

Staff

Helping folks is a great thing to do. I believe in being careful  and wise while helping. Many folks are homeless because they are slimballs. It is wise to check things/people out. Maybe helping out through a local church. the local food bank.. We are to be helpful to others YES but had your good intentions not been taken advantage of yoiu could have been real help to a true need. 

A personal story from 1951

I am not old enough to remember but the story goes something like this... Dad had a little church in Lordsburg NM .. Dad was always will to give his last dime. (A side note Dad had the church and a job the income that year was 1200.00  that was 100 a month,.) Some guy knocks on the door pleading $ for food for his family ..telling dad pastor so n so said you might help...  the family was in the car across the street. Dad gave the guy $5.00 .. Mom says who was that Dad tells mom... Mom says something is not right you need to check this out... So dad heads down town, sees the car with the wife and kids ,  seeing a bar close by dad goes in the change from the 5 was on the bar dad took to the wife and the store. .  Dad learned to be wiser more careful . He did a bit of research and found out the guy had been hitting churches up across the states. 

• Like 3

I know of someone who used to help homeless people like that all the time, it usually doesn't  turn out well.  Two of the people he helped were coke addicts that wouldn't leave, the other was a woman with with alcoholism, the last time he helped her was when he found her passed out drunk on the side of the road in some tall grass. 

Most people are homeless because of drug or alcohol addiction, or mental illnes, and some actually want to be. There's a few that are really trying to improve themselves.

On a side note, don't give homeless people money either, some of them aren't even homeless, and the ones that are and asking for money do nothing else but that. 

I understand wanting to help them, even the ones who are addicts, but the help they need is a new lifestyle altogether, or psychiatric treatment. The ones with mental illness I feel the most bad for.

• Like 2

In the Philippines the poverty is horrendous. When they see me they think I have lots of money - I don't but compared with them I do. I see homeless kids all the time. It's heartbreaking. I prefer giving them food as I pass by instead of money. I never stay long when I do, because what some people do is give food (even just an apple) for sex. It infuriates you inside.

• Like 1

Staff

M

10 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

I know of someone who used to help homeless people like that all the time, it usually doesn't  turn out well.  Two of the people he helped were coke addicts that wouldn't leave, the other was a woman with with alcoholism, the last time he helped her was when he found her passed out drunk on the side of the road in some tall grass. 

Most people are homeless because of drug or alcohol addiction, or mental illnes, and some actually want to be. There's a few that are really trying to improve themselves.

On a side note, don't give homeless people money either, some of them aren't even homeless, and the ones that are and asking for money do nothing else but that. 

I understand wanting to help them, even the ones who are addicts, but the help they need is a new lifestyle altogether, or psychiatric treatment. The ones with mental illness I feel the most bad for.

Agree

Many of these homeless are so because they have 'used up' their families. Some are hiding  from child support . This has been going on a long time... 

2Th 3:10  For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. 
2Th 3:11  For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. 

Balancing the above with  

Jas_1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, Debi said:

The more I try to help people the worse things happen to me. I could give you many many examples, but just recently I helped a homeless family by letting them sleep in my RV for 3 weeks. They broke things, trashed it and left behind bed bugs which I am still trying to deal with. I took in an older Native American man who also had nowhere to live and he fell and  hurt his leg badly and now I have to take care of him and he still has nowhere to go and doesn't want to leave.  I tried to help another family and the city came down on me and caused me a lot of grief.  I have a family a car and it was used in a crime si ....the pd  came to my house.   I tried to help a family on the reservation and my dog got sick up there from one of their dogs costing me $400. It seems every time I try to help someone it comes back and causes me terrible problems. Is this normal? Is God chastening me? People I know have often said to me they don't understand why there's so much trouble in my life when I try to help everyone else....so I know it's just not my perception. Any input/wisdom on this would be welcomed!  I know we should help those in need, but  I'm starting to think i shouldn't

God is sending you a strong message , but it is not being properly received . God is not angry with you, nor is He punishing you. If you are actually in Christ and have experienced the new birth and have the indwelling Holy Spirit you are on a works orientated mission that God did not authorize nor will ever accept unless it is ordered by Him. You are learning the hard way that God has reserved all redeemed people unto Himself and expects them to listen to Him and obey His precepts and commands . ( here ) " But the natural man receives  not the things of the Spirit of God : for they are foolishness unto him : neither can he know them because they are spiritually discerned " 1st.Cor. 2:14 .  When you reach out to the world and take it upon yourself to "help them ", you are only setting up yourself for great disappointments . Never ,Never , do anything of the sort that got you into this very dismal situation without the hand of God . Everything would have gone well and without the misfortune you suffered if you would have prayed to Him and waited for the Holy Spirit's discernment and instructions . I cannot stress this enough . People think they are doing God's will when they reach out to the world and attempt to do things that God did not order . Patients ,faith and waiting are absolute necessities when we pray to God for anything . In closing , "  Be not thou one of them that strike hands or of them that are sureties for debts. If thou hast nothing to pay, why should he take away thy bed from under thee ?"        M

PS,,,I have no intentions of seeing anyone go hungry. But God must have a vested interest and purpose in my selection of donating to those who need it . Once the matter is settled with God then you are free from any guilt or compassion that God did not intend .  

On 9/7/2018 at 9:11 AM, Debi said:

It seems every time I try to help someone it comes back and causes me terrible problems. Is this normal? Is God chastening me?

God has likely been chastening you for doing foolishness and not obeying His Word. ...

MATTHEW.7:6 = 6 “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

MATTHEW.10: = 5 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. ...

16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. 17 But beware of men, ...

2CORINTHIANS.6: = 14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God.

Also, MATTHEW.5:17-48 does not really tell Christians to pluck out their eyes and chop off their limbs or love their enemies or turn the other cheek or walk the extra mile or lend to all who ask. Only those who stubbornly reject Jesus as the Christ/Messiah/Saviour would have to do such foolishness, in order to be saved from hell when they die, eg the self-righteous Pharisees. Cf; ROMANS.12:19-21.

God's food laws actually teach believers to discriminate between good and evil people, eg avoid eating wild and dirty/infectious living beings. Hence, banks wisely only lend money to people with good credit ratings and/or stable income.