The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
lostlamb

Ex JW needing guidence

Hello Everyone.

I have recently come out of a five year bender being with the Jehovah's Witnesses.  It has been an overall devistating expereience for me, especailly coming out because I feel like what I was hoping for has been ripped away from me, and I was living under tight rules for nothing.  I am two years out now, but I feel like my soul has been burned, I still have the mindset, that God is going to be angry with me if I do not do things the right way.

Prior to joining I was raised in a baptist family and currently attend a baptist church with my mom.  But I feel as if I can't get back to my basic faith and beliefs.  I was hoping I could receive some prayer and guidence from this site.

Thank You for the opprotunity to tell you my experience.

• Praying 5

2 hours ago, lostlamb said:

Hello Everyone.

I have recently come out of a five year bender being with the Jehovah's Witnesses.  It has been an overall devistating expereience for me, especailly coming out because I feel like what I was hoping for has been ripped away from me, and I was living under tight rules for nothing.  I am two years out now, but I feel like my soul has been burned, I still have the mindset, that God is going to be angry with me if I do not do things the right way.

Prior to joining I was raised in a baptist family and currently attend a baptist church with my mom.  But I feel as if I can't get back to my basic faith and beliefs.  I was hoping I could receive some prayer and guidence from this site.

Prayers to God for you are ascending, @lostlamb. I can't even imagine the turmoil you must be going through. I suggest that you definitely adopt a daily prayer routine and Scripture reading, talk to other believers and trust the Holy Spirit to do His work within you.

• Like 3

Welcome.

It would seem that instead of getting back to the faith of your past, that you should start anew, examine every doctrine with a microscope.

And of course you need a more sturdy than before.

The best thing you can do is what every Christian should, that is to stay in prayer, study God's word, and have fellowship with other other believers.

Saying prayers for you, may God work great faith in you.

• Like 2

Thank You so much for your replies.  Prayer is something I need to develop more, and it is something I struggle with.  I am looking forward to fellowshiping with everyone on this site, and maybe make some new friends.

Woman's Prayer group starts in my church this coming fall, and mom and I are going to try to make it a practice of going each week, as well as going to church service too, though we seem to have a hard time getting up in the morning lol.

Thank You for your prayers and kind words.

• Like 1

Staff
6 hours ago, lostlamb said:

I still have the mindset, that God is going to be angry with me if I do not do things the right way.

Matthew 11:28-30.

Welcome to CF!

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Staff
15 hours ago, lostlamb said:

@William  thank you, thats definitely a scripture to remember.

You are very welcome lostlamb.

After reading your introduction I offer my sincere prayers. It seems that you have a little voice in the back of your head that is speaking to your conscience? Surely, the JW helped put it there? I have seen others suffer from not only Legalism but also Political Correctness in the same way. Don't let your conscience be stricken by trivia matters. If you're convicted by a voice (in the back of your mind), JWs, or even Satan confess that you're a sinner because Jesus didn't die for the righteous but sinners. And where Jesus is you'll be rightfully found lostlamb.

I am happy that the Lord called you out of that cult. Salvation is by grace and not by our works nor is salvation based on performance.

• Like 1

Hello lostlamb,

The same God that broke you free is more than able to guide you and keep you strong in the victory in Jesus Christ.

• Like 2

Staff

Hello and welcome LL

When a ship at sea needs to turn around, as you turned "around" -- it takes time and a lot of ocean. Let the Lord be your helmsman and He will guide you into new waters and new ports, "Be anxious for nothing, but in all your ways acknowledge Him and He WILL direct your paths." Coming here and reaching out shows your true heart's desire, so relax, breathe, and look forward as He renews His life in you.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, lostlamb said:

Hello Everyone.

Sometimes cults and false religions are difficult to come out from. But in your case I see that you did make the move to exit that terribly false religion . While everything in a cult is works orientated , everything pertaining to genuine Christianity is targeted towards grace . The very act of receiving God , through our Lord Jesus Christ is all incumbent upon grace. God is NOT ANGRY with you. As a matter of fact He may have a plan and a purpose for your life. Thank you for sharing your story with us and rest assured that I will be praying for you . As I do hope others will as well. In the meantime forget everything you were ever taught by the JW cult. It is terrible that so many are lured in by false assumptions that they earnestly want to believe is the true religion .

" There is a way that seems right unto a man........whose ends are the ways of death thereof " KJV  Pr.14:12 . This clearly defines the error in judgment made under false pretenses . But whatever you do, believe that you made the right move in leaving that place .

Thank you all for your kind words.  I really try to hold back using the word cult when I talk about JW, but that is exactly what they are, and yes very works based.  More like Hierarchy based, with women and children being on the bottom.

I am glad to know that God is not angry with me.  I like the analogy on the ship sailing on water, its very true, if I had to describe my mind right now, its drifting all over the place, but I am starting to settle my mind back on Christ my Savior.  And I am very happy to be a part of this group.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, lostlamb said:

Thank you all for your kind words.  I really try to hold back using the word cult when I talk about JW, but that is exactly what they are, and yes very works based.  More like Hierarchy based, with women and children being on the bottom.

I am glad to know that God is not angry with me.  I like the analogy on the ship sailing on water, its very true, if I had to describe my mind right now, its drifting all over the place, but I am starting to settle my mind back on Christ my Savior.  And I am very happy to be a part of this group.

Reading your bible would take away any misgivings of your prior religion. Good to begin with the gospels and then the Book of Acts . The message in the gospels is pointed towards the Lord and His volunteer sacrifice on the cross. The Book of Acts is a theatrical picture of establishing churches and teaching doctrines .    M

2 minutes ago, lostlamb said:

Doctrines, is what spins my head around the most. lol

You have to be careful with doctrines. There are many people who read, understand and apply them to their lives. But sadly certain doctrines are the only source of their salvation . We called them ' Doctrinist ' . Salvation is a gift of God alone . It clearly becomes deceitful because there are many who 'confess' but never 'Possess '. 

@lostlamb Welcome to the forum! 

I was born and raised in the Catholic church for 35 years, which I left 4 years ago.  I then attended a weekly Bible study with SDA church members.  I left that 2 years ago.  I have some idea of what you are going through leaving an apostate church.  I am still looking for the right church to attend.  I have attended a local Presbyterian church a number of times that I like, so I may stick with them.  

I'd like to know what you experienced leaving the JW church.  Was there any retribution inflicted?

God bless!

Edited by CDF47

1 minute ago, lostlamb said:

@CDF47  Really just withdrawal of friendship and association.

I see.  That can be really tough as well.  That is a part of controlling people.  

Staff
On 9/4/2018 at 4:55 PM, lostlamb said:

I really try to hold back using the word cult when I talk about JW, but that is exactly what they are, and yes very works based.

Calling an individual cultist or a body a cult doesn't have to be subjective opinion. There are actually objective criteria for recognizing a person, church, or body as Christian, denomination, or cult.

Just bringing this up not as a point of contention but rather for information. It would make for a good topic elsewhere on the board.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:41 AM, CDF47 said:

@lostlamb Welcome to the forum! 

I was born and raised in the Catholic church for 35 years, which I left 4 years ago.  I then attended a weekly Bible study with SDA church members.  I left that 2 years ago.  I have some idea of what you are going through leaving an apostate church.  I am still looking for the right church to attend.  I have attended a local Presbyterian church a number of times that I like, so I may stick with them.  

I'd like to know what you experienced leaving the JW church.  Was there any retribution inflicted?

God bless!

If you're going to stay with the Presbyterian church make certain that is Presbyterian Church America . Since the PCUSA is so controversial .

Staff
3 hours ago, lostlamb said:

@William  Please do start a topic on Identifying a cult, I would love to follow what others have to say.

An invitation to all members:

• Like 1