The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
News Feeder

Matt Smethurst on Teaching 1 Thessalonians

teaching_thessalonian-300x128.jpg

Discussion on ThessaloniansFirst Thessalonians covers a surprising range of massive themes in only five chapters: election, Satan, sex, love, work, and death—just to name a few. Yet perhaps its most dominant theme is the second coming of Jesus.

I talked to Matt Smethurst, the managing editor of the Gospel Coalition and an elder at Third Avenue Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky, about these two often overlooked but content-rich books. Matt brings to the conversation his knowledge of these books that came from teaching them to adults at his church as well as writing 1–2 Thessalonians: A 12–Week Study in the Knowing the Bible study guide series.

You can listen to part one of the interview here and part two on 2 Thessalonians here.

Recommended Audio Resources:

Recommended Print Resources:

68Txq3NdG4Q

View the full article

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Topics

• Top Ex-Hillary Aide Backs Movement To Fire Kavanaugh From Teaching At George Mason

By Mary Margaret Olohan - The former press secretary for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign is backing a movement to fire Brett Kavanaugh from teaching at George Mason University. Former Clinton press secretary Brian Fallon is the executive director of the liberal advocacy group Demand Justice, according to Fox News. After the George Mason undergraduate group “Mason For Survivors” started a petition to remove Kavanaugh, Fallon began using Facebook ads to target anyone with ties t

in Political Conservative News

• Some American Colleges Are Teaching Students to 'Queer' the Bible

An increasing number of colleges and universities in the United States are training college students to read the Bible from an LGBT perspective. The details of these courses became public through the Young America Foundation’s annual report on the state of college education in America. View the full article

in Christian Current Events

• The Didache, or Teaching of the Apostles

This revision into modern English is based on the translation of J.B. Lightfoot.   The Didache (from a Greek word related to "doctrine," "didactic," etc.), which was revised over time into varying forms at various places, seems to have been a sort of church manual for primitive Christians, probably in rural areas dependent mostly on itinerant ministers.   The only known complete Didache in Greek is the Codex Hierosolymitanus, which was first published by Bryennios in 1883. The Greek Oxyrhy

in Christian History

• Are All 10 Virgins Saved? (Matt. 25.1-13)

vv.2-4 Two classes of virgins. Many commentators take the five foolish virgins to be the unsaved, yet there are so many iron-clad evidences to overturn such an interpretation that we will mention only fifteen of them, which serve also as important proofs that these foolish virgins are saved ones:   (1) These five foolish ones are virgins. Even through verse 11, they are still termed virgins. Throughout the parable the Lord never called this matter into question; on the contrary, He continual

in Bible Study

• Anthony Petterson on Teaching Zechariah

According to Anthony Petterson, lecturer in Old Testament and Hebrew at Morling College in New South Wales, Australia, the only book the New Testament quotes more than Psalms in the context of Jesus’s death is Zechariah. Yet I’m not sure I have ever heard a sermon series on the book, and I’ve never taught through it myself. Petterson admits that Zechariah—with its combination of visions, oracles, ancient imagery, and narrative—isn’t easy. But that, he says, is what makes it thrilling when we inv

in Christian Current Events