The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Matto

Fishing again

I just got back from a fishing trip in the Northern Territory. I'm constantly amazed by the huge numbers of fish Australia has along its coastlines.

Threadfin salmon are the favourite eating fish, and they are easy to catch from the northern beaches. I wish I could have cooked you guys some threadfin on the beach, there's something biblical about the idea. 

Hot threadfin fillet sandwiches off the BBQ plate.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBRimGft-SwQzRN4gxlHk

• Like 1

I haven't been fishing in a long time, but I used to love camping out near the river and catching fish for dinner.

Fish is one of favorite foods, and I love to sit down to eat a nice big fillet of salmon.

Staff

Tall pines, babbling brook, coffee in the morning air, trout very fresh trout for breakfast . Been too long ago!

On 8/17/2018 at 10:27 PM, Innerfire89 said:

I haven't been fishing in a long time, but I used to love camping out near the river and catching fish for dinner.

Fish is one of favorite foods, and I love to sit down to eat a nice big fillet of salmon.

Our salmon are very different, but getting out in the remote areas would be the same refreshing feeling everywhere in the world I suppose.

In the Northern Territory it's a conflict between fishing and hunting, many times while fishing a waterhole, a herd of pigs or some buffalos show up. So it's smart to sling your rifle before going fishing. But take some webbing with snake bite kit, camelbak, and knife. It can get far too hot for packs, so webbing is the best way.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 1:56 AM, Becky said:

Tall pines, babbling brook, coffee in the morning air, trout very fresh trout for breakfast . Been too long ago!

I bought a smoked trout from a shop once, but it was so filling I really struggled to eat the second half. 

Staff

I plan on fishing early next month. Lake Tulloch in California. People are reporting Smallies in the lake, but I haven't caught anything the last two times I was there fishing from shore.

4 hours ago, William said:

I plan on fishing early next month. Lake Tulloch in California. People are reporting Smallies in the lake, but I haven't caught anything the last two times I was there fishing from shore.

I used live bait which was very effective, are you allowed to use throw nets there?

William, honestly mate I've been hearing good things about Alaska for fishing, and I just looked at the fishing regulations you have in California, it almost made me choke. Your relatively close to Alaska, I'd nip up to some of those creeks and rivers and give them a shot.

One of the best ways I've made the fish rise is using insects and frogs as live bait. Let them float and kick around on the surface making a ruckus, fish can't pass this up, it dares them to snap it up.

Edited by Matto

On 8/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, William said:

What fishing gear are you using William. The bass over there seem to be similar to  the barramundi over here. We use live bait and small baitcasters and lures to catch these predator fish.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQugfsjGFO5C60ESgly2r-

Even the small Barramundi are good fun to catch.

https://youtu.be/ZSPOgiRFrYI

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYVWvj_RlbqNVjIl9-p6_

This is the knot I use to connect the thinner braid line to the monofilament leader. It is very strong. Braid is very slippery by nature and knots unravel very easily not tied well.

If you have 30-50lb braid, I generally put leader of 10lbs extra breaking strain.

30lb braid = 40lb mono leader.

Advantages of using leader instead of braid alone.

Mono leader is easier to tie terminal tackle to and has extra abrasion resistance. The heavier strength leader can be wound onto your reel giving you more control as the fish reaches retrieval distance.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, William said:

The other thing to consider is if your lure is swimming correctly. I use this knot which allows free and natural movement of the lure, by not having the knot tied directly to the attachment point of the lure.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLUE6cxYq1G3e1cu-DgwS

Live bait set up.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm_3RcGbQxkTOEj6ohuKF

Or the live bait set up. Shoulder hook.

magnificent-live-bait-fishing-lures-pict

Try these out William and see if it improves the catch rate.