The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Grafted Branch

Is believing a work?

1 John 3:23 “And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.”

This verse seems to put believing in the same category as the law of God.

Romans 4:5 “But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.”

This verse seems to contrast believing and works as opposites.

John 6:29 “Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.”

This verse seems to state believing is a work but of God.

If someone says they have believed first and then they were saved, essentially they are saying they have obeyed Gods commandment and are saved (1 John 3:23). I am not sure how this would fit with Romans 4:5 or for that matter Romans 3:28 “Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.”.

If believing is a work that God has done and a saved person exercises this but only because it has been given to them (everything necessary for salvation completed by God through Christ) then all the verses would seem to fit and agree.

Therefore whether believing is accomplished by man or God I conclude it is a work. Does this seem correct or am I missing other important verses about this?

• Like 3

Staff
1 hour ago, Grafted Branch said:

1 John 3:23 “And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.”

This verse seems to put believing in the same category as the law of God.

Romans 4:5 “But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.”

This verse seems to contrast believing and works as opposites.

John 6:29 “Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.”

This verse seems to state believing is a work but of God.

If someone says they have believed first and then they were saved, essentially they are saying they have obeyed Gods commandment and are saved (1 John 3:23). I am not sure how this would fit with Romans 4:5 or for that matter Romans 3:28 “Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.”.

If believing is a work that God has done and a saved person exercises this but only because it has been given to them (everything necessary for salvation completed by God through Christ) then all the verses would seem to fit and agree.

Therefore whether believing is accomplished by man or God I conclude it is a work. Does this seem correct or am I missing other important verses about this?

You have it right. Faith/belief in or of ourselves is a work apart from Jesus Christ.

To note, Romans 4:5 speaks not of the timing of faith in relation to regeneration. Through faith the works and righteousness of the object of our faith Jesus Christ is imputed us (Justification), that is how faith is counted for righteousness. God does not declare us righteous by counting our own act of faith as meritorious, but rather “the righteousness of God” is “by faith,” Romans 3:22, if by faith, then faith itself is not that righteousness.

Regeneration precedes faith! It is God and God alone that saves us, the entire salvation process from beginning to end is the work of God.

God alone deserves all the Glory (Soli Deo Gloria).

God bless,

William

Definition:  A work is an activity involving (1) mental or physical effort done in order to (2) achieve a purpose or result.

Thus, if I believe the salvific gospel via my own strength I have:

1) performed a mental effort (considering God's salvific message and coming to a conclusion)

2) achieved a purpose (go to heaven rather than hell for instance).

John 1:29 already being stated.

Aside:  Gee, if I am wrong then I have reason to boast.  *sticks his chest out with pride*  But then I have problems with 1 Cor. 1:29, 1 Cor. 4:7 & Ephesians 2:9 *Chest repidly deflates*

Thanks for your replies, I agree with them. I would like to clarify what I am thinking. I use John 6:29 to state that believing is a work of God. From that I derive believing = work of God. Then using this in Romans 4:5 we have “But to him that worketh not, but the work of God, his faith is counted for righteousness “. Also by adding has or hath to make it easier to read in John 3:16 we have “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever hath the work of God, should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

I would like to share this with my friends and family members that hold to “accepting Christ as their personal savior “ and use John 3:16 as a foundational verse. I haven’t done so yet as I want to make sure this doesn’t violate any bible interpreting principles. Do you think this is correct or a wise way of using the scriptures?

Staff
On 8/20/2018 at 8:40 AM, Grafted Branch said:

Do you think this is correct or a wise way of using the scriptures?

Here, you may be interested in this thread to sharpen your sword:

Enjoy,

William

Believing is work...because it enthrones you not asking questions.  You ought to know the truth because its that which sets you free. 

Believing in him, the father of all is not a work, it’s our duty. He sacrificed much for whom, us. He doesn’t want something big from us, he never had desired for, even when he was with us as a human. The only thing he wishes us standby is his teachings. It is our duty to keep our faith in him, keep our belief in him and in his teachings.

He wants us to love each other and keep the feeling of brotherhood in our hearts. We are sinned, one or the other way. Keeping our belief and doing good deeds as told by him can only save us.

Love him for he loves you…

The relations we make on earth are temporary. You’ll lose them one or the other day. Though, your relation with God is eternal. Strengthen this bond by doing things he loves, wants you to do. Help the needy, treat the wounded and give your love to the animals that roam on the earth as they are God’s creations too.

You should keep him in your heart always. It is possible that you may need some help in the process. For sure, you can take help of some of his signs. It’s not possible to take a Holy Cross with yourself at every place.

There are a number of items available in the market in the form of bracelet or jewelry which can be used. You can purchase and wear any of these items as per your choice. Wearing a Cross bracelet or a necklace helps you stay in touch with him, the father.

Again, you must understand that the thing doesn’t strengthen your connection with God unless you have a firm belief. Keep faith, and for sure you’ll experience something magical in your life.