The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

When someone claims they don't discipline their children because...

Staff

What I really want to do every time someone claims they don't discipline their children because others will call CPS on them:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We have a local woman who runs the homeless shelter ("Holy Ground") for recovering alcoholics and addicts.  Someone once called CPS on her for spanking her children.  She unapologetically confronted them with the exclamation "You bet I spanked them, and if they misbehave again, I will spank them again!"  Then she held up her hands and told them that if they wanted to arrest her for it, they should just go ahead and do it.  "The Bible says 'Spare the rod and spoil the child' and they don't have a permanent mark on them."

We have a wooden "spanking spoon".  I doubt that we have used it more than twice because just the sight of the spanking spoon is enough of a reminder that we were willing to use it.  Now we were called on our threat once on vacation "You can't, the spanking spoon is at home!" so we had to buy more spanking spoons to have one in the car and one in the luggage on vacation.  🙂

Edited by atpollard
  • Like 2

My dad used 'the strap' (a old waist belt).  He would always give an explanation before the physical event and often use the words, "I don't care if you don't love me, but you will respect me".  That hurt 'cause I loved him.   As an adult I would in jest reminisce and state I didn't mind the belt so much, it was the buckle that hurt.

I did something inappropriate in church once so there was what seemed an eternal time delay between sentencing and punishment ... that was a loooong car ride home.   I always commenced crying as early as possible in an attempt to diminish the duration of the punishment; I don't think it worked but hard to measure and I didn't want to incur a large sample size to corroborate my theory.

Used the same procedures uponto my two munchkins.   I thought an open hand was superior to a strap.  I did institute the counting to 3; the utterance of which would command a mandatory spanking.  I guess they believed me as I never made it to 3 though a couple of times I did say "2 and a half".   They did find a loop hole in this procedure.  They, for example, might be bickering and they knew they were safe to continue for the time interval between 1 and 2, so the 'yapping' would ensue until the word "two" was voiced; the ensuing dead silence being a conformation of my authority.  (lol)

Aside:  Best to spank them when they are small.  One son ended up a high school heavy weight wrestler that went to state finals.   Needless to say he could beat the crap out of me so luckily I had instilled 'respect' into him while he was younger.  *soft giggle*

• Like 3

Staff

Not every kid needs or should have a spanking. Being the challenging kid i got a good share.  Dad is preaching i have to set by mom, We were most often given paper and pencil . IF ya drop the pencil ya get to get it, so drop it often..  Being about 10-11 i am too old for such.. Getting more noisy mom gently touches my leg. Good ol Becky met the challenge a little more noise.. then comes the leg pinch. I loudly ask "What are you pinching me for?" Dad stops talking. Mom gives me the arm jerk and out the door we go I had to pick the switch .  The "mom look" could keep the 4 others in line. Not this one. 

Looking back at my parenting I would have less rules therefore less spanking. 

Pro_13:24  He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. 

• Like 2

Staff

I remember the Principal's paddle at school. He used to make students select which one they preferred from a wall. If you didn't choose one he would grab the big wide paddle with holes drilled in it. Winding back from across the room the paddle would "whistle" while being swung.

• Like 2

In first and second grade our teacher had two paddles.  One for discipline and the other for birthdays.  The one for discipline was thick and didn't hurt at all.  The one for birthdays was a ping-pong paddle and stung like the dickens.

• Haha 1

Just the fact that you have a paddle and are willing to use it is a deterrent. My oldest was an only girl she was 7 when her brother was stillborn. After her terrible twos she was fairly easy to handle. If her mother couldn't get through, all I had to do was deepen my voice she would start crying and do what she was told.

When she was about ten a friend (female) moved in temporarily with two boys 9 and 7. The boys were a handful and I had to step in and help her discipline the boys. Well the two older always picked on the 7 year old. While they were there she got a few paddlings. I guess they were a bad influence.

The oldest boy was really running over his mother. If you grabbed him and quickly corrected him, it wouldn't do much good. I had to use psychology on him. I found out he really hated to wait on punishment. I would make him fetch the paddle and go to the back bedroom and wait for me to get ready. It just killed. It didn't take much of that he became very respectful.

7062.gif

• Haha 1

Liberals are infecting society with a lot of stupid ideas, especially with parenting. 

• Like 1