The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
davy

Who is The Babylon Harlot of Revelation?

Who is the Babylon Harlot of Revelation?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Babylon Harlot of Revelation?

• European Union, Brussels
    • Rome
    • New York
    • Bagdad
    • Moscow
    • Jerusalem
    • London
    • Peking

5 hours ago, deade said:

You are right about beasts are representing governments. Realize this: antichrist is a movement to pervert the gospel and offer a counterfeit that will not save anyone. In 1 John he is specifically addressing spirits of that movement. Thus, try the spirits (1 John 4:1). A false prophet, by definition, must claim to represent Jesus Christ but doesn't.   :RpS_thumbup:

Do you think Mohammed is a false prophet?

2 hours ago, Placable37 said:

You make a good point, Becky, so the use of the word "antichrist" for either the first or second beasts of Revelation is a convention based on implication and inference. The claims of the papacy have historically gone beyond popes being Christ's vicars on earth ...

Pope Leo XIII said these things about the role of the Papacy and the Roman Church:

Good quotes on the papacy, there are ton's more.

12 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

Do you think Mohammed is a false prophet?

Mohammed was created by Kadijah's uncle, Mohammed was a warrior for Kadijah and her famalies trading company.

Just now, Truth7t7 said:

Mohammed was created by Kadijah's uncle, Mohammed was a warrior for Kadijah and her famalies trading company.

OK, but would you consider him a false prophet?

4 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

OK, but would you consider him a false prophet?

As false a prophet as Charles Russel, and Joseph Smith.

Edited by Truth7t7

2 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

As false a prophet as Charles Russel, and Joseph Smith.

OK, so non-Christians can be false prophets.

2 hours ago, Becky said:

Bare with me a minute ... Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind.  What if i decided rename Scarlett in the last chapter? 

Was that "Margaret Mitchell" Dennis The Menace's mom?

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

OK, so non-Christians can be false prophets.

I believe "Prophet" is defined as sent of God/god?

Google Dictionary:

proph·et

/ˈpräfət/

noun

1. a person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God.

Edited by Truth7t7

1 minute ago, Truth7t7 said:

I believe "Prophet" is defined as sent of god?

Google Dictionary:

proph·et

/ˈpräfət/

noun

1. a person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God.

I agree with that definition.  A false prophet is one who falsely claims the gift of prophecy or divine inspiration, or who uses that gift for evil ends.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Staff

A prophet of God is never in error. 

Staff

If the revelatory process has ceased (no new revelation only illumination), and the offices which were used for revelation are now closed, then what does that say about anyone that claims to be an Apostle or Prophet?

8 minutes ago, William said:

If the revelatory process has ceased (no new revelation only illumination), and therefore the offices which were used for revelation are now closed, then what does that say about anyone that claims to be an Apostle or Prophet?

Good point.  In the Didache, however, the author references prophets.  I guess it's not Scriptural so it may be in error.  I don't know what to make of this.  From the Didache:

WWW.NEWADVENT.ORG

Featuring the Church Fathers, Catholic Encyclopedia, Summa Theologica and more.

Chapter 11. Concerning Teachers, Apostles, and Prophets

Whosoever, therefore, comes and teaches you all these things that have been said before, receive him. But if the teacher himself turn and teach another doctrine to the destruction of this, hear him not; but if he teach so as to increase righteousness and the knowledge of the Lord, receive him as the Lord. But concerning the apostles and prophets, according to the decree of the Gospel, thus do. Let every apostle that comes to you be received as the Lord. But he shall not remain except one day; but if there be need, also the next; but if he remain three days, he is a false prophet. And when the apostle goes away, let him take nothing but bread until he lodges; but if he ask money, he is a false prophet. And every prophet that speaks in the Spirit you shall neither try nor judge; for every sin shall be forgiven, but this sin shall not be forgiven. But not every one that speaks in the Spirit is a prophet; but only if he hold the ways of the Lord. Therefore from their ways shall the false prophet and the prophet be known. And every prophet who orders a meal in the Spirit eats not from it, except indeed he be a false prophet; and every prophet who teaches the truth, if he do not what he teaches, is a false prophet. And every prophet, proved true, working unto the mystery of the Church in the world, yet not teaching others to do what he himself does, shall not be judged among you, for with God he has his judgment; for so did also the ancient prophets. But whoever says in the Spirit, Give me money, or something else, you shall not listen to him; but if he says to you to give for others' sake who are in need, let no one judge him.

Chapter 13. Support of Prophets

But every true prophet that wills to abide among you is worthy of his support. So also a true teacher is himself worthy, as the workman, of his support. Matthew 10:10; cf. Luke 10:7 Every first-fruit, therefore, of the products of wine-press and threshing-floor, of oxen and of sheep, you shall take and give to the prophets, for they are your high priests. But if you have not a prophet, give it to the poor. If you make a batch of dough, take the first-fruit and give according to the commandment. So also when you open a jar of wine or of oil, take the first-fruit and give it to the prophets; and of money (silver) and clothing and every possession, take the first-fruit, as it may seem good to you, and give according to the commandment.

Edited by CDF47

29 minutes ago, Becky said:

A prophet of God is never in error. 

What about a prophet of a god?

Allah is a false god, and has false prophets?

Edited by Truth7t7
  • Like 1

Staff
22 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

Good point.  In the Didache, however, the author references prophets.  I guess it's not Scriptural so it may be in error.  I don't know what to make of this.  From the Didache:

WWW.NEWADVENT.ORG

Featuring the Church Fathers, Catholic Encyclopedia, Summa Theologica and more.

Chapter 11. Concerning Teachers, Apostles, and Prophets

Whosoever, therefore, comes and teaches you all these things that have been said before, receive him. But if the teacher himself turn and teach another doctrine to the destruction of this, hear him not; but if he teach so as to increase righteousness and the knowledge of the Lord, receive him as the Lord. But concerning the apostles and prophets, according to the decree of the Gospel, thus do. Let every apostle that comes to you be received as the Lord. But he shall not remain except one day; but if there be need, also the next; but if he remain three days, he is a false prophet. And when the apostle goes away, let him take nothing but bread until he lodges; but if he ask money, he is a false prophet. And every prophet that speaks in the Spirit you shall neither try nor judge; for every sin shall be forgiven, but this sin shall not be forgiven. But not every one that speaks in the Spirit is a prophet; but only if he hold the ways of the Lord. Therefore from their ways shall the false prophet and the prophet be known. And every prophet who orders a meal in the Spirit eats not from it, except indeed he be a false prophet; and every prophet who teaches the truth, if he do not what he teaches, is a false prophet. And every prophet, proved true, working unto the mystery of the Church in the world, yet not teaching others to do what he himself does, shall not be judged among you, for with God he has his judgment; for so did also the ancient prophets. But whoever says in the Spirit, Give me money, or something else, you shall not listen to him; but if he says to you to give for others' sake who are in need, let no one judge him.

Chapter 13. Support of Prophets

But every true prophet that wills to abide among you is worthy of his support. So also a true teacher is himself worthy, as the workman, of his support. Matthew 10:10; cf. Luke 10:7 Every first-fruit, therefore, of the products of wine-press and threshing-floor, of oxen and of sheep, you shall take and give to the prophets, for they are your high priests. But if you have not a prophet, give it to the poor. If you make a batch of dough, take the first-fruit and give according to the commandment. So also when you open a jar of wine or of oil, take the first-fruit and give it to the prophets; and of money (silver) and clothing and every possession, take the first-fruit, as it may seem good to you, and give according to the commandment.

When was the Didache written in relation to the completion of the Christian canon?

Again lemme state: If the revelatory process has ceased (no new revelation only illumination), and the offices which were used for revelation are now closed, then what does that say about anyone that claims to be an Apostle or Prophet?

2 minutes ago, William said:

When was the Didache written in relation to the completion of the Christian canon?

Again lemme state: If the revelatory process has ceased (no new revelation only illumination), and therefore the offices which were used for revelation are now closed, then what does that say about anyone that claims to be an Apostle or Prophet?

The Didache was written around 100 AD or so.  The Christian canon is reported to be around 200 AD or earlier.  

If anyone claimed to be a prophet, they would be false. 

Edited by CDF47

Staff
1 minute ago, CDF47 said:

The Didache was written around 100 AD or so.

If anyone claimed to be a prophet, they would be false. 

Both offices Apostle and Prophets are closed. Lemme remind you that Catholicism continues the office of Apostle.

1 minute ago, William said:

Again lemme state: If the revelatory process has ceased (no new revelation only illumination), and the offices which were used for revelation are now closed, then what does that say about anyone that claims to be an Apostle or Prophet?

The Mormon Church has 12 Apostles, And Joseph Smith was their Prophet, The New Jerusalem will be in (Independence Missouri)

I have had the burning in my bosom, this testimony is true?

1 minute ago, William said:

Both offices Apostle and Prophets are closed. Lemme remind you that Catholicism continues the office of Apostle.

Yeah, those offices are closed now.  I always wondered where the Scriptures indicate that, if you know.

Staff
1 minute ago, Truth7t7 said:

The Mormon Church has 12 Apostles, And Joseph Smith was their Prophet, The New Jerusalem will be in (Independence Missouri)

I have had the burning in my bosom, this testimony is true?

Theology matters.

In some cases what we generally consider non essential theology (Continuationism vs Cessaiontism) seems to lead to grave error in this particular case. 

Just now, William said:

Theology matters.

In some cases what we generally consider non essential theology (Continuationism vs Cessaiontism) seems to lead to grave error in this particular case. 

I agree smiles, Mormonism is in grave error, as is many other religious orgs.

A little humor

• Like 1