The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
davy

Who is The Babylon Harlot of Revelation?

Who is the Babylon Harlot of Revelation?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Babylon Harlot of Revelation?

• European Union, Brussels
    • Rome
    • New York
    • Bagdad
    • Moscow
    • Jerusalem
    • London
    • Peking

14 hours ago, Becky said:

The Revelation of Christ has been dated in general numbers from 60 to 90 AD , Future for John could have been any time after those dates. 

The majority of scholars hold to the 95/96 date of Revelation based upon the quote of Church father "Iranaeus", who was contemporary with Polycarp, who was a direct disciple of John the Apostle who wrote the revelation.

Iranaeus states the book was written towards the end of Emperor Domitians reign, that is 95/96AD

Iranaeus Of Lyon 130-202AD, Against Heresies Book V, 30.3

"We will not, however, incur the risk of pronouncing positively as to the name of Antichrist; for if it were necessary that his name should be distinctly revealed in this present time, it would have been announced by him who beheld the apocalyptic vision. For that was seen no very long time since, but almost in our day, towards the end of Domitian's reign."

Wikipedia: Domitian (/dəˈmɪʃən, -iən/; Latin: Titus Flavius Caesar Domitianus Augustus;[2] 24 October 51 – 18 September 96 AD) was Roman emperor from 81 to 96. He was the younger brother of Titus and the son of Vespasian, his two predecessors on the throne, and the last member of the Flavian dynasty. 

Edited by Truth7t7

18 hours ago, CDF47 said:

I agree.  I think it is clear that this is a future event John is prophesying.  

(Preterism full or partial) both believe the fulfilling of the gentiles in Luke 21:20  was fulfilled in Jerusalems destruction in 70AD by the Roman Armies?

Problem: Revelation 11:2 is the same fulfilling that some preterist deny, and yes the book of Revelation was written in 95/96AD, yes 25 years after their claim.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:03 PM, Truth7t7 said:

Pretty hard to deny the verse below, the rich man and Lazarus is another.

Revelation 14:11KJV

And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

I tend to agree here, especially for Demons, and probably for Humans also. 

On 10/11/2018 at 10:50 PM, Revelation Ron said:

the Holy Spirit had revealed to me who Babylon was

What becomes of Babylon?

Staff
23 hours ago, discipler77 said:

If I am right, wrt the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ to earth, Christian believers should look for signs of increased persecution/prosecution/tribulation, instead of looking for signs for the rebuilding of the Jewish Holy Temple of God at Jerusalem.

What could /would be Holy about a temple built by man? 

2 hours ago, Becky said:

What could /would be Holy about a temple built by man? 

Many within the camp of dispensationalism believe in a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem, a renewed Levitical priesthood, and renewed blood sacrifice of bulls, goats, and lambs blessed by God?

As Jesus Christ sits upon a earthly throne?

Edited by Truth7t7

Staff

In my view many in the camp of dispensationalism sure read Hebrews different then i do. 

12 hours ago, Erik said:

What becomes of Babylon?

Babylon is the whole world or the mass of people on earth that follow Satan hence Babel means confused, hence those that fight against God and for the Beast and his master the Red Dragon (Satan) are by definition "CONFUSED". 

The Harlot is destroyed by the Beast and his 10 Kings and Babylon (the world governed by Satan) will be brought to its knees by the Seal, Trumpet and Vial Judgments, then Jesus will take over and rule for a 1000 years, then we will get a new heaven and earth and this world as we know it will be no more. If this world becomes an inferno then this earth might be where Hell is located. This world is supposed to melt away according to Peter. 

1 hour ago, Revelation Ron said:

Babylon is the whole world or the mass of people on earth that follow Satan hence Babel means confused, hence those that fight against God and for the Beast and his master the Red Dragon (Satan) are by definition "CONFUSED". 

The Harlot is destroyed by the Beast and his 10 Kings and Babylon (the world governed by Satan) will be brought to its knees by the Seal, Trumpet and Vial Judgments, then Jesus will take over and rule for a 1000 years, then we will get a new heaven and earth and this world as we know it will be no more. If this world becomes an inferno then this earth might be where Hell is located. This world is supposed to melt away according to Peter. 

I'll read your initial post and let you know if what you are saying is correct - might take me a few days

14 hours ago, Truth7t7 said:

(Preterism full or partial) both believe the fulfilling of the gentiles in Luke 21:20  was fulfilled in Jerusalems destruction in 70AD by the Roman Armies?

Problem: Revelation 11:2 is the same fulfilling that some preterist deny, and yes the book of Revelation was written in 95/96AD, yes 25 years after their claim.

I agree, it is after their claim.  It is a future event.

9 hours ago, Revelation Ron said:

Jerusalem is the whore, Mystery Babylon The Great

There will be no 1000 year kingdom on earth, the heavens and earth will be dissolved by the Lord Jesus at his return, judgment complete, eternity begins.

6 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

Jerusalem is the whore, Mystery Babylon The Great

There will be no 1000 year kingdom on earth, the heavens and earth will be dissolved by the Lord Jesus at his return, judgment complete, eternity begins.

I believe Mystery Babylon includes all the mystery religions, many of the secret societies, false religion, kabbalism, paganism, and is headed by the RCC some directly and some indirectly.  

Below is a graph showing Mystery Babylon:

Mystery_Babylon_Graph.pdf

I agree, there will be no 1000 year kingdom on Earth.  The universe is going to be destroyed upon the Lord's return.  The very elements of the universe destroyed.  I believe the very fabric of space and time itself will be annihilated and death will be destroyed.  

Edited by CDF47

6 hours ago, CDF47 said:

I believe Mystery Babylon includes all the mystery religions, many of the secret societies, false religion, kabbalism, paganism, and is headed by the RCC some directly and some indirectly.  

Below is a graph showing Mystery Babylon:

Mystery_Babylon_Graph.pdf

I agree, there will be no 1000 year kingdom on Earth.  The universe is going to be destroyed upon the Lord's return.  The very elements of the universe destroyed.  I believe the very fabric of space and time itself will be annihilated and death will be destroyed.  

The Harlot/Whore Mystery Babylon The Great Is A 

"CITY"

Not A Religion Or Belief System

I fully agree that the secret socities and your graph is reality?

Once again, "City"

The "City" is Jerusalem!

Revelation 17:18KJV

And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Edited by Truth7t7

52 minutes ago, Truth7t7 said:

"CITY"

Once again, "City"

The "City" is Jerusalem!

And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

I think that city is the Vatican which is the Vatican city state.  The Vatican city state (as a nation which combines church and state) has both spiritual and temporal power on this Earth.  I believe she is the mother harlot and false religion falls beneath her either directly or indirectly.

Edited by CDF47

2 hours ago, Truth7t7 said:

"CITY"

Once again, "City"

The "City" is Jerusalem!

The book of Revelation is one huge "CODE BOOK" with 284 of the 404 verses having Old Testament verbiage in them. Why would anyone think that Revelation using a "Metaphor" for the city be a strange event ? The whole book is metaphors !! It is a code book and the Old Testament is used to decode it. For instance the Woman with the sun, moon and stars clothing her in Rev. ch 12 is solved via Genesis 37:9. Joseph dreamed that the sun (Jacob), moon, (Rachel) and 11 stars (his brothers) would pay obedience unto him. 

1. a man is called the Beast

2. a seven headed Beast = 7 Kingdoms

3. locusts are demonic beings

4. the spirit of God is the 7 spirits

5. all false religion is the Harlot

Etc. etc. it goes on and on, so why would a "CITY" representing something be odd ? It's obvious that the city is Babylon because that is what's tattooed on her head, it's one of four descriptions. Babylon will never be a city again. Babylon stands for the head of gold, and for all the kingdoms under Satan, the statue will be destroyed by Jesus. 

The harlot is not Babylon, and there is no Mystery, verse 7 tells us there is no mystery because the angel stated I will explain the mystery unto you. So its only yet a mystery to those who can't understand the explanation.  Babylon is where harlotry was birthed, its only one clue as per who she is. The others are obvious, False Religion is an Abomination (Abominations of the earth), False Religion was birthed in Babylon hence she is the Mother of Harlots. False Religion was at its zenith in Babylon. 

The Harlot is False Religion, Babylon is False Governance. The Purple and scarlet represent Religion and Royalty (Gov.). All of these governments and false religions have one thing in common, they do not recognize the authority of God. The United States was founded on what ? Jesus Christ is Lord of lords and King of kings........."all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

The USA has taken the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the masses worldwide via our Constitutional Rights. I am proud to a citizen, yet we have people who say the USA is Babylon, or is the Beast. It kind of puzzles me to be honest.

20 minutes ago, Revelation Ron said:

The book of Revelation is one huge "CODE BOOK" with 284 of the 404 verses having Old Testament verbiage in them. Why would anyone think that Revelation using a "Metaphor" for the city be a strange event ? The whole book is metaphors !! It is a code book and the Old Testament is used to decode it. For instance the Woman with the sun, moon and stars clothing her in Rev. ch 12 is solved via Genesis 37:9. Joseph dreamed that the sun (Jacob), moon, (Rachel) and 11 stars (his brothers) would pay obedience unto him. 

Etc. etc. it goes on and on, so why would a "CITY" representing something be odd ? It's obvious that the city is Babylon because that is what's tattooed on her head, it's one of four descriptions. Babylon will never be a city again. Babylon stands for the head of gold, and for all the kingdoms under Satan, the statue will be destroyed by Jesus. 

The harlot is not Babylon, and there is no Mystery, verse 7 tells us there is no mystery because the angel stated I will explain the mystery unto you. So its only yet a mystery to those who can't understand the explanation.  Babylon is where harlotry was birthed, its only one clue as per who she is. The others are obvious, False Religion is an Abomination (Abominations of the earth), False Religion was birthed in Babylon hence she is the Mother of Harlots. False Religion was at its zenith in Babylon. 

The Harlot is False Religion, Babylon is False Governance. The Purple and scarlet represent Religion and Royalty (Gov.). All of these governments and false religions have one thing in common, they do not recognize the authority of God. The United States was founded on what ? Jesus Christ is Lord of lords and King of kings........."all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

The USA has taken the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the masses worldwide via our Constitutional Rights. I am proud to a citizen, yet we have people who say the USA is Babylon, or is the Beast. It kind of puzzles me to be honest.

I believe USA could be the second beast of Revelation.  It started as a Lamb but then spoke as a dragon.  There is persecution and oppression in this country (and around the world).  See below:

FIGHTGANGSTALKING.COM

Contents 1.  A Brief Explanation of “Gang Stalking” 2.  Introduction to the Full Explanation of Gang Stalking 3.  Crimes by U.S. Law Enforcement & Intelligence Agencies 4.  Oversight of Law...

9 hours ago, CDF47 said:

I think that city is the Vatican which is the Vatican city state.  The Vatican city state (as a nation which combines church and state) has both spiritual and temporal power on this Earth.  I believe she is the mother harlot and false religion falls beneath her either directly or indirectly.

Vatican city didn't exist to be guilty of the prophets blood, now who's gonna be this "City"?

Jerusalem is the "City"

Revelation 18:24KJV

24 And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.

Matthew 23:34-37KJV

34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Edited by Truth7t7

9 hours ago, Revelation Ron said:

Etc. etc. it goes on and on, so why would a "CITY" representing something be odd ? It's uobvious that the city is Babylon because that is what's tattooed on her head, it's one of four descriptions. Babylon will never be a city again. Babylon stands for the head of gold, and for all the kingdoms under Satan, the statue will be destroyed by Jesus. 

"CITY"

The City Is Not Iraq, Babylon, Nor A Religion Or Belief System

Once again, "City"

The "Great City" is Jerusalem!

And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Revelation 11:8KJV

8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Edited by Truth7t7

5 hours ago, Truth7t7 said:

Vatican city didn't exist to be guilty of the prophets blood, now who's gonna be this "City"?

Jerusalem is the "City"

Revelation 18:24KJV

24 And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.

Matthew 23:34-37KJV

34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

I would have to rethink Revelation just a little bit if Jerusalem is the first beast of Revelation.  Not saying it is but it could be.

11 hours ago, Truth7t7 said:

The Harlot/Whore Mystery Babylon The Great Is A "CITY"

The City Is Not Iraq, Babylon, Nor A Religion Or Belief System

Once again, "City" The "Great City" is Jerusalem!

And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Revelation 11:8KJV

8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Revelation11:8 and Revelation17:18 are prophecies about 2 different events. There is no mention of the woman-Harlot-Babylon at Revelation11:1-8. The great city in Revelation 11:8 and Revelation17:18 is likely referring to different great cities. Was there only 1 great city in the world.?

Revelation11:2-3 = 2 But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city underfoot for forty-two months. 3 And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.”

Revelation11:8 talked about the 2 powerful witnesses/prophets who will appear in the great city of Jerusalem where our Lord was crucified, during the 1st 42 months or 3 1/2 years of the Great Tribulation period when Christian believers will suffer great prosecution/persecution/martyrdom by the even more powerful worldly governments. This 42-month or 3 1/2-year event will happen just before the 2nd Coming of Lord/God Jesus Christ to earth.

....... The 2 witnesses/prophets will likely be Enoch and Elijah who did not suffer death on earth, ie they were translated straight to heaven by God. They will witness to the Jews at Jerusalem with Holy Spirit-power and convert many Jews during the 42 months before they are eventually martyred by the beast(= the Israeli government), be resurrected after 3 1/2 days and re-translated to heaven. This prophetic event shows that God still loves the law-abiding Jews.

Revelation17:1 = “Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, 2 with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication.”

Otoh, Revelation17:18 prophesied about the coming powerful empires/superpowers of the world(= kings of the earth, heads, horns, beast) after the death of Jesus Christ in 33AD, eg the beast included the Empires of Babylon, Assyria, Persia, Greece and Rome. The 10 horns were also mentioned in Daniel7:8 & 25 = they were likely the  10 European kingdoms of the Holy Roman Empire who had colonized nearly the whole world, eg the British Imperial Empire colonized USA until 1776AD. The little horn that arose out of the 10 horns was likely referring to USA, the last superpower of the world before the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ to earth.

....... So, the great city-woman-Harlot-Babylon of Revelation17:18 likely referred to false Churches who fornicated or shared political power with worldly empires/superpowers, eg the Roman Catholic Church centered in Rome and the Eastern Orthodox Church centered in Constantinople.

After the destruction of the Holy Temple of God at Jerusalem and the eviction of the Jews from Judea by the powerful Roman Empire in 70AD, Judaism which was centered in Jerusalem, lost all influence over the empires/superpowers of the world. Jerusalem is no more a great city since 70AD.

So, the Babylon Harlot of Revelation17 was very likely referring to the great city of Rome(= Vatican City) and the Roman Catholic Popes who "slept" with the Holy Roman Empire from the 4th to 19th century, and not to the once-great city of Jerusalem and the Jewish Holy Temple.

....... Remember the Inquisition and persecution/prosecution of Galileo and Martin Luther by Rome.?

Edited by discipler77

16 hours ago, CDF47 said:

I would have to rethink Revelation just a little bit if Jerusalem is the first beast of Revelation.  Not saying it is but it could be.

Jerusalem is the woman/whore, nothing is said about this woman/whore being a beast.

3 hours ago, Truth7t7 said:

Jerusalem is the woman/whore, nothing is said about this woman/whore being a beast.

Papal Rome is the first beast of Revelation.

5 hours ago, CDF47 said:

Papal Rome is the first beast of Revelation.

Please provide scripture to support your belief?

Beast 1 & 2?

Edited by Truth7t7

14 hours ago, Truth7t7 said:

Please provide scripture to support your belief?

Beast 1 & 2?

See the video above.  I know it is SDA and I am not SDA but I think they got some of this correct.  

Revelation 13:11-14

11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. 12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. 13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, 14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the
beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. 

Edited by CDF47

Staff

Exercise text without examples:

Every part of a true sentence must be "true"
If any one part of the sentence is false, 
the whole sentence is false despite many other true statements.

Pay close attention to 
negatives, qualifiers, absolutes, and long strings of statements

Negatives can be confusing.
If the question contains negatives, as "no, not, cannot"
Drop the negative and read what remains. 
Decide whether that sentence is true or false. 
If it is true, its opposite, or negative, is usually false

Qualifiers are words that restrict or open up general statements.
Words like "sometimes, often, frequently, ordinarily, generally" open up the possibilities of making accurate statements.  They make more modest claims, are more likely to reflect reality, and usually indicate "true" answers.

Absolute words restrict possibilities. 
"No, never, none, always, every, entirely, only"
imply the statement must be true 100% of the time and usually indicate "false" answers