The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
josha

Alcohol and Christianity

15 hours ago, Erik said:

I’m referring to it’s use and place socially today than how it was 2000 years ago.

Oh, I see.  

Edited by CDF47

On 8/13/2018 at 1:28 PM, William said:

Sounds like you lapsed (temporary) and not relapsed (current). Can I ask why you think drinking beer is a sin? Can you not have one or two at the most and not get drunk?

Here is a question, is it possible that something could be a sin for you and not someone else?

Example: If my conscience tells me that drinking is wrong and I do it anyway, is that a sin?

Staff
31 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Here is a question, is it possible that something could be a sin for you and not someone else?

Example: If my conscience tells me that drinking is wrong and I do it anyway, is that a sin?

Well, my thoughts are that the conscience isn't God, and conscience can be developed by teachers other than God, such as culture, political correctness, other religions ect. Our conscience is not a law unto itself, man no longer clearly reflects God though we were once made in the image of God. 

I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest God's moral law is not absolute and that we should follow moral relativism 

God bless,

William 

2 minutes ago, William said:

I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest God's moral law is not absolute and that we should follow moral relativism 

Of course not. What I am suggesting is that if someone believes something is wrong, then is it wrong for them to engage in that act?  Ligonier had a good article on this:

WWW.LIGONIER.ORG

The function of the conscience in ethical decision making tends to complicate matters for us. The commandments of God are eternal, but in order to obey them we must first appropriate them...

Staff
1 minute ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Of course not. What I am suggesting is that if someone believes something is wrong, then is it wrong for them to engage in that act?  Ligonier had a good article on this:

WWW.LIGONIER.ORG

The function of the conscience in ethical decision making tends to complicate matters for us. The commandments of God are eternal, but in order to obey them we must first appropriate them...

Without reading the article there's a certain grace which should be applied to others. Paul said he wouldn't eat meat again if it caused weaker brothers to stumble.

Lemme ask, how ethical is it to be ruled by weaker people of faith in life, business, ect? 

Haven't read the article, I'm mobile at the moment and shall later. 

God bless,

William 

1 minute ago, William said:

Without reading the article there's a certain grace which should be applied to others. Paul said he wouldn't eat meat again if it caused weaker brothers to stumble.

Lemme ask, how ethical is it to be ruled by weaker people of faith in life, business, ect?

Not really what the article is dealing with but I see where you are coming from. It's a tough call really. Where do we draw the line?

Staff
22 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Not really what the article is dealing with but I see where you are coming from. It's a tough call really. Where do we draw the line?

Interpreting Paul's action, individual freedom or liberty suggest a person has the right to refrain as much as partake. The lines are clearly drawn when we outline our own individual personal bodies. The limitations or cautions becomes apparent when outlining, framing, or defining others. Which I think falls in the domain or under the office of government. 

Staff
53 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

WWW.LIGONIER.ORG

Just read the article and didn't have any objections. Again, the plurality of conscience I think falls in the domain of religion or government. Thankfully there is a check and balance. For example, Sharia law may best convey my conscience, but our government may check that power. Likewise, the article used the Diet of Worms, the government may check the discipline of the Catholic church. To what degree is a major point of controversy.

Hope my thoughts aren't too far off topic.