Jump to content

SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
josha

Alcohol and Christianity

Recommended Posts

CDF47
15 hours ago, Erik said:

I’m referring to it’s use and place socially today than how it was 2000 years ago.

Oh, I see.  

Edited by CDF47

Share this post


Link to post
davidtaylorjr
On 8/13/2018 at 1:28 PM, William said:

Sounds like you lapsed (temporary) and not relapsed (current). Can I ask why you think drinking beer is a sin? Can you not have one or two at the most and not get drunk?

Here is a question, is it possible that something could be a sin for you and not someone else?

 

Example: If my conscience tells me that drinking is wrong and I do it anyway, is that a sin?

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff
31 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Here is a question, is it possible that something could be a sin for you and not someone else?

 

Example: If my conscience tells me that drinking is wrong and I do it anyway, is that a sin?

Well, my thoughts are that the conscience isn't God, and conscience can be developed by teachers other than God, such as culture, political correctness, other religions ect. Our conscience is not a law unto itself, man no longer clearly reflects God though we were once made in the image of God. 

 

I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest God's moral law is not absolute and that we should follow moral relativism 

 

God bless,

William 

Share this post


Link to post
davidtaylorjr
2 minutes ago, William said:

I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest God's moral law is not absolute and that we should follow moral relativism 

Of course not. What I am suggesting is that if someone believes something is wrong, then is it wrong for them to engage in that act?  Ligonier had a good article on this:

 

WWW.LIGONIER.ORG

The function of the conscience in ethical decision making tends to complicate matters for us. The commandments of God are eternal, but in order to obey them we must first appropriate them...

 

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff
1 minute ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Of course not. What I am suggesting is that if someone believes something is wrong, then is it wrong for them to engage in that act?  Ligonier had a good article on this:

 

WWW.LIGONIER.ORG

The function of the conscience in ethical decision making tends to complicate matters for us. The commandments of God are eternal, but in order to obey them we must first appropriate them...

 

Without reading the article there's a certain grace which should be applied to others. Paul said he wouldn't eat meat again if it caused weaker brothers to stumble.

 

Lemme ask, how ethical is it to be ruled by weaker people of faith in life, business, ect? 

 

Haven't read the article, I'm mobile at the moment and shall later. 

 

God bless,

William 

Share this post


Link to post
davidtaylorjr
1 minute ago, William said:

Without reading the article there's a certain grace which should be applied to others. Paul said he wouldn't eat meat again if it caused weaker brothers to stumble.

 

Lemme ask, how ethical is it to be ruled by weaker people of faith in life, business, ect?

Not really what the article is dealing with but I see where you are coming from. It's a tough call really. Where do we draw the line?

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff
22 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Not really what the article is dealing with but I see where you are coming from. It's a tough call really. Where do we draw the line?

Interpreting Paul's action, individual freedom or liberty suggest a person has the right to refrain as much as partake. The lines are clearly drawn when we outline our own individual personal bodies. The limitations or cautions becomes apparent when outlining, framing, or defining others. Which I think falls in the domain or under the office of government. 

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff
53 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Of course not. What I am suggesting is that if someone believes something is wrong, then is it wrong for them to engage in that act?  Ligonier had a good article on this:

 

WWW.LIGONIER.ORG

The function of the conscience in ethical decision making tends to complicate matters for us. The commandments of God are eternal, but in order to obey them we must first appropriate them...

 

Just read the article and didn't have any objections. Again, the plurality of conscience I think falls in the domain of religion or government. Thankfully there is a check and balance. For example, Sharia law may best convey my conscience, but our government may check that power. Likewise, the article used the Diet of Worms, the government may check the discipline of the Catholic church. To what degree is a major point of controversy.

 

Hope my thoughts aren't too far off topic.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...