Jump to content

SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
josha

Alcohol and Christianity

Recommended Posts

SovereignGrace
6 minutes ago, CDF47 said:

Yes, you are right.  Jesus drank wine and turned water into wine.  Even Daniel drank wine I believe.  Wine offerings were made to the Lord in the OT.  Wine and strong drink are throughout the Bible and are fine.  Now way over drinking and being a drunkard is a bad sin.

And don’t get drunk with wine, which leads to reckless living, but be filled by the Spirit:[Ephesians 5:18]

 

Here it says don’t get drunk with wine. It doesn’t to not drink wine, but not to get get drunk with it. Why? It leads to reckless living. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
CDF47
1 minute ago, SovereignGrace said:

And don’t get drunk with wine, which leads to reckless living, but be filled by the Spirit:[Ephesians 5:18]

 

Here it says don’t get drunk with wine. It doesn’t to not drink wine, but not to get get drunk with it. Why? It leads to reckless living. 

Exactly.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff

Genesis 14:17-24 - 18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. (He was priest of God Most High.)

  • Like 1
  • ouch 1

Share this post


Link to post
SovereignGrace
2 minutes ago, William said:

Genesis 14:17-24 - 18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. (He was priest of God Most High.)

That was unfermented wine. :classic_blink:

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff
19 minutes ago, SovereignGrace said:

That was unfermented wine. :classic_blink:

Was Melchizedek subject to the Laws of the Levitical and Aaron priesthood?

 

Besides fermented wine, I was wondering whether Melchizedek's bread was leavened or unleavened?

 

Just curious and God bless,

William

Share this post


Link to post
SovereignGrace
Just now, William said:

Was Melchizedek subject to the Laws of the Levitical and Aaron priesthood?

 

Was wondering whether Melchizedek's bread was leavened or unleavened?

 

Just curious and God bless,

William

No to your first question, or at least that’s my opinion. Plus, that was prior to the Levitical priesthood.

 

I would guess unleavened. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CDF47
56 minutes ago, William said:

Genesis 14:17-24 - 18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. (He was priest of God Most High.)

 

Great verse.

 

Luke 7:33-35

For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is justified by all her children.”

Edited by CDF47
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
SovereignGrace
6 hours ago, CDF47 said:

 

Great verse.

 

Luke 7:33-35

For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is justified by all her children.”

If you study the context here, it’s not really about drinking booze. Jesus is telling those self-righteous religious leaders no one can meet their self-righteous demands. John was not a glutton or a sot, so they accused him of being demon possessed. The Christ came eating and drinking...obviously not getting drunk or committing gluttony, and they called Him a glutton and a drunkard. And He also sat with ***gasp*** sinners!

Share this post


Link to post
CDF47
6 hours ago, SovereignGrace said:

If you study the context here, it’s not really about drinking booze. Jesus is telling those self-righteous religious leaders no one can meet their self-righteous demands. John was not a glutton or a sot, so they accused him of being demon possessed. The Christ came eating and drinking...obviously not getting drunk or committing gluttony, and they called Him a glutton and a drunkard. And He also sat with ***gasp*** sinners!

It is referring to alcohol as John the Baptist came drinking no "wine."  Jesus came drinking and they called him a drunkard. 

 

I also believe Jesus was not a glutton or a drunkard.  I believe He drank in moderation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Erik

Seems strange to justify drinking today based on what people did 2000+ years ago. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
atpollard
5 hours ago, Erik said:

Seems strange to justify drinking today based on what people did 2000+ years ago. 

What about Adultery and Stealing and Murder ... Should we not care about what Jesus and the Apostles did 2000 years ago when making decisions on these issues as well?

As a fellow "Credobaptist", I have one that hits closer to home ... "Seems strange to justify [not baptizing infants] today based on what people did 2000+ years ago." :classic_wink:

[What we believe the Bible says people did 2000 years ago is the reason we don't baptize infants.]

Share this post


Link to post
Erik
2 minutes ago, atpollard said:

What about Adultery and Stealing and Murder ... Should we not care about what Jesus and the Apostles did 2000 years ago when making decisions on these issues as well?

As a fellow "Credobaptist", I have one that hits closer to home ... "Seems strange to justify [not baptizing infants] today based on what people did 2000+ years ago." :classic_wink:

[What we believe the Bible says people did 2000 years ago is the reason we don't baptize infants.]

The reason we don’t baptize infants is not because of what people DID 2000 years ago it’s because of what the Bible teaches about Baptism. My point is the cultural and supply differences today vs 2000 years ago with respect to wine and alcohol. Alcohol use and choice of beverage is completely different today. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CDF47
10 hours ago, Erik said:

Seems strange to justify drinking today based on what people did 2000+ years ago. 

Not really.  They serve as an example of how to live our lives.  Especially Jesus.

Share this post


Link to post
Erik
9 hours ago, CDF47 said:

Not really.  They serve as an example of how to live our lives.  Especially Jesus.

The point being that wine is a much different drink today than it was 2000 years ago when wine was one of the few drinks of flavor. Wine and alcohol are much different today. If you can’t recognize that then no need to reply 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CDF47
39 minutes ago, Erik said:

The point being that wine is a much different drink today than it was 2000 years ago when wine was one of the few drinks of flavor. Wine and alcohol are much different today. If you can’t recognize that then no need to reply 😊

I read that wine was about the same then as it is today regarding alcohol content and strong drink and may have actually been stronger.  I guess it depends on the source of the information.  

Share this post


Link to post
Joefizz
On 10/13/2018 at 1:25 PM, SovereignGrace said:

In my opinion, it’s no more wrong to smoke a cigar or cigarette than it is to drink. Regardless of what we do, someone will take umbrage to it.

 

How many pastors, whose belt has disappeared under their belly will shake a fat finger of someone drinking a beer, glass of wine, or shot of bourbon? 

Hi ya sovvy interesting seeing you here!

Been laying off the Christian sites because of all the annoying tension with some people.

  • Like 1
  • Toast 1
  • ouch 1

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff
4 minutes ago, Joefizz said:

Hi ya sovvy interesting seeing you here!

Been laying off the Christian sites because of all the annoying tension with some people.

Be sure to vote on this or suggest another option:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
SovereignGrace
4 hours ago, Joefizz said:

Hi ya sovvy interesting seeing you here!

Been laying off the Christian sites because of all the annoying tension with some people.

I have been a member here for a while, but I had honestly forgotten about it. I enjoy it here.

 

I got banned from CC for maligning the site and recruiting members. I wasn’t maligning that board, but did recruit their members. 

  • Like 1
  • Toast 1

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff
51 minutes ago, SovereignGrace said:

I have been a member here for a while, but I had honestly forgotten about it. I enjoy it here.

 

I got banned from CC for maligning the site and recruiting members. I wasn’t maligning that board, but did recruit their members. 

I ask, that is, I have approached other website owners which are hosted on another platform if they'd be interested in migrating to here. Have only had one FB admin say yes, but none of his members were willing to leave FB. 

 

We have Clubs available which can be run by the Club creator. They still fall under the staff here, but I'd think that'd be better than being accountable to secular moderation and policies at FB? 

 

Anyhoot, I was surprised by how many Christians are loyal to FB. 

 

Glad to have your fellowship S.G.

 

God bless,

William

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Joefizz
3 hours ago, SovereignGrace said:

I have been a member here for a while, but I had honestly forgotten about it. I enjoy it here.

 

I got banned from CC for maligning the site and recruiting members. I wasn’t maligning that board, but did recruit their members. 

Yeah, good to see someone familiar from there besides deade, I left CC because I came there for advice and got critically analyzed, ridiculed,insulted and didn't feel very welcome anymore, I'd rather not get into what we talked about but, I just couldn't stay and it takes a lot for me to consider leaving any Christian site I still have friends from there on other sites so it's not all bad.

  • Like 2
  • Best Answer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Joefizz

Well goodnight everyone and may God bless you all!

  • Like 1
  • Toast 1

Share this post


Link to post
Erik
23 hours ago, CDF47 said:

I read that wine was about the same then as it is today regarding alcohol content and strong drink and may have actually been stronger

I’m referring to it’s use and place socially today than how it was 2000 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
SovereignGrace
2 hours ago, Joefizz said:

Yeah, good to see someone familiar from there besides deade, I left CC because I came there for advice and got critically analyzed, ridiculed,insulted and didn't feel very welcome anymore, I'd rather not get into what we talked about but, I just couldn't stay and it takes a lot for me to consider leaving any Christian site I still have friends from there on other sites so it's not all bad.

Not to criticize another site, but there is quite a bit of heresy spread there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Joefizz
7 hours ago, SovereignGrace said:

Not to criticize another site, but there is quite a bit of heresy spread there. 

Yeah but, that can happen on any site, right now I'm causing quite a stir on Twitter concerning the catholic church and one guy is insulting me on there and acting as if I don't know the Bible, no matter where I go people have a problem with me lol!

  • Toast 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...