The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Support

The Healing of Willow Creek

Misguided loyalty harmed this historic congregation. True loyalty can redeem it.

83120.jpg?w=460

In light of the resignation of its pastoral staff and elder board, it’s time to rally around Willow Creek Community Church with support and prayers. With those resignations, and the repentance they suggest, Willow has an opportunity to enter into a new fruitful season of ministry.

Let’s ponder what has happened in the last few months and why, because a simplistic reading of the events will only tempt Willow—and any Christian institution in a similar crisis—to react in such a way that the fruitful season will wither away all too quickly. Many women have come forward and said Bill Hybels has abused his power and sexually harassed female colleagues. The current leadership, pastors and elder board, have failed early to take seriously the accusations being brought forth. We are wise to try our best to grasp the moral and psychological complexities of what has taken place, so deep redemption can take place.

Rediscovering True Loyalty

Given the number of troubling testimonies about Hybels’s behavior, it’s easy to forget we’re still dealing with allegations and not proven fact. Many are of the opinion—me included—that he is guilty. Hybels, however, continues to deny many of the most serious allegations. It’s not merely an American thing but is also required of Christian charity: The accused are entitled to their day in court. For independent churches in Willow’s situation, that court is the sort of independent investigation that Willow has at long last commissioned. An independent investigation will hopefully be able to bring to light the full truth of the matter. The choice of the organization to investigate, as well as its work, are certainly matters to keep in prayer. ...

Continue reading...

ctmag?d=yIl2AUoC8zA ctmag?i=GS1Z0CyhwVE:pBSGROgPRSg:F7zBnMyn0Lo ctmag?i=GS1Z0CyhwVE:pBSGROgPRSg:V_sGLiPBpWU ctmag?d=qj6IDK7rITs ctmag?i=GS1Z0CyhwVE:pBSGROgPRSg:gIN9vFwOqvQ ctmag?d=bcOpcFrp8Mo
GS1Z0CyhwVE

View the full article

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NKJV

1 To everything there is a season,

A time for every purpose under heaven:

2 A time to be born,

And a time to die;

A time to plant,

And a time to pluck what is planted;

3 A time to kill,

And a time to heal;

A time to break down,

And a time to build up;

4 A time to weep,

And a time to laugh;

A time to mourn,

And a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones,

And a time to gather stones;

A time to embrace,

And a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to gain,

And a time to lose;

A time to keep,

And a time to throw away;

7 A time to tear,

And a time to sew;

A time to keep silence,

And a time to speak;

8 A time to love,

And a time to hate;

A time of war,

And a time of peace.

I read the article and agree with much of it.  Yet something in the tone terrifies me.  As human beings we are so quick to want to "get past" THIS (whatever unpleasant thing THIS happens to be), and in our rush to heal and forgive and move on and rebuild ... we skip over the season of pain and tears and mourning and ash cloth and ... well, repentance.   I left the article with a whiff of almost a "prosperity gospel" of repentance and restoration.

Are we attempting to rebuild "the temple" while God is still tearing it down in judgement?  If we rush to a return to "normalcy", have we really learned the lesson taught at such a dear price?  Prayer and fellowship is indeed the answer, but so is the recognition that this may be a season for mourning and tears and introspection and repentance.  The danger is that those who came to be entertained may leave ... Yes, they probably will.  Maybe even that has a season.

Edited by atpollard